• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Online Payment of Fine - Charged the Wrong amount !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Payment of Fine - Charged the Wrong amount !

I was issued with a PCN 6.5.2021 and it gave a 50% discount for early payment within 14 days (i.e. total amount £25 not £50) . I automatically wrongly assumed that the 14 days would commence from the next day or at least start at the time the offence was committed 3:27 and roll forward However upon reading the ticket more closely it states that it commences on the day the offence was committed and ends 19/05/21.

Anyway having gone online to make a payment on the 20/5/2021 at 10:59- I entered my registration number and the PCN number - I was charged the reduced amount (discount applied). I was happy with everything until I read the "Confirmation of Payment" email which said :
    "Your account has been debited as above. Please print and retain this receipt for your records.
    Please note: It is your responsibility to ensure that the payment above fully covers your outstanding Penalty Charge. Failure to settle the full amount due will result in Derbyshire County Council taking any steps necessary to recover the Charge in full.

If you have any queries relating to your payment or outstanding amount please contact the Parking Matters helpline on 0845 520 2468."
    Surely if I supply all the details and they direct me to the site it is their responsibility to charge me the correct amount ! It even said the "amount due" was "£25" (i.e discounted amount) not the £50 implied the initial ticket.

Couple of questions if I may :

Is this some sort of scam so you incur more charges later and the Council or the Parking Administrator (Park Smarter) make more money by recovering the remaining £25 ... plus potential add-ons ?

Would the fact that they said the amount due was £25 (when I supplied them with all the details on-line) amount to a counter offer even though they potentially tried to change it once they issued a "confirmation of payment" ?

Thanks

Scoobz
    ps would normally assume everything was above board but Parking Companies always make me suspicious !
    Last edited by scoobz1; 20th May 2021, 11:55:AM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X