• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

no stopping enforcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no stopping enforcement

Hi a quick question to anyone that can help please, can a private parking company enforce no stopping in a no stopping zone?
    many thanks in advanced
    Last edited by potros85; 3rd June 2020, 18:45:PM.
    Tags: None

Tell us all about it then.

Comment

A pcn was sent to ntk with the charge being 'stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited' An appeal was made by the driver stating that the sign had said no stopping on red route double yellow lines and there was none of those in the area where the driver stopped and the yellow lines had end prior to that section of the road.
      the pcn wasn't issued in a car park but a road with in the area where there are a few car parks for various buisness . The driver did admit by omission that they had stopped briefly (no more then 5 minutes max) by stating the above in the appeal. The appeal was denied and it said that driver in the appeal has admitted to stopping in a no stopping zone so the charge is now payable etc. Further correspondences have been ignored and no further appeals was made. A lbc was received and a sar has been requested. It was believed that that section of land wasn't privately own but infact was an adopted highway payable at the public exspence so the bases of further arguemnts would have been based on that among other things however it has since been confirmed as being a road with mixed responsibilities so my questions are: Can a private company use and enforce a no stopping rule on private land being a parking company? Would this fall under a parking offence or a moving traffic offence and can they enforce a moving traffic offence? And how does that work in line with allowing a grace period that drivers usually get when packing?
      Thank you in advanced for any replies

Comment

Hi is anyone able to answer my question please. Thank you x

Comment

ostell*

Comment

So was it or was it not a maintained road? What did the signs say?

Suggest you post in the pepipoo forum

Comment

The road was deemed mixed responsibility so some sections are maintained by public expense some sections not the section in question is maintained by the landowner (someone from highways went out to check the site and confirmed this to be the case)although the register states it was public maintained. Attached is a screenshot from Google maps of the sign. Apologise I can't seem to find the pepipoo forum if someone could point me in the right direction please I'd be happy to post there. Thank you for your response.
              Attached Files

Comment

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Comment

Thank you ploddertom.

Comment

The main thing about this is that the sign is not offering a contract to park and therefore there can be no breach of contract. To claim that there was a contract is perverse

Is this railway or airport?* You need to get a better definition of which bits are adopted.* They cannot operate on adopted roads.

Comment

It's neither it's a retail park there are various sides and roads leading to different car parks for shops, McDonald's, travel lodge,football ground and a public house. The section of the road is leading to the public house I've attached some more photos of the lay out from Google maps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Agree with Ostell, that sign is an utter absurdity, so no stopping, what not even if the traffic is backed up lol,
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Could I ask would you would advise going forward with this please. A SAR Has been sent would the driver be best off waiting to see what happens next and wait for information then the court papers and present their argument to the judge? or would they be best off sending in the form to deny the debt with their argument as to why the debt isn't owned to the company to see if it stops court proceedings? Thank you in advanced for any replies.

Comment

Edit.* The driver was driving, the keeper is now handling everything.

Let's see the original NTK

Comment

It's not letting me upload the ntk*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X