• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fixed Penalty Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Penalty Notice

I received a fixed penalty notice from police Scotland nearly a week ago (in person). My kids were ill for nearly a week, I’d been up and down all night and popped to the shop for more calpol. I mistakenly parked half in a parking spot and half on white zig zag lines. I know this is an offence and if I’m being honest I didn’t overly notice them, I've been issued with 3 points and a £100 fine. My only main problem with this is I’ve recently finished engineering at college and I’m currently going through selection phase for my job, a job which requires a clean driving license. Very disappointed in myself and was looking for advice as how best to proceed? I’ve read I could plead my case with mitigating circumstances and hope they forgo the points or obviously accept the points and stop selection process. Also I was wondering if I plead my case can the points be increased and by how much? *Would it be a criminal conviction? Thanks in advance for any help it would be greatly appreciated!*
    Tags: None

A fixed penalty notice is not a criminal conviction. There is no official appeal process but if you decide to not pay, the issue will be decided in court. Details should be on the reverse of the notice informing you how to appeal the decision, if this is what you wish to do. If you decide to appeal the decision, it is advised that you look into getting legal representation to present your case in court. If found guilty the fees may increase and this will include court costs. Before proceeding with a court case, please remember that a legal case can be costly, stressful and time consuming. A fixed penalty notice cannot be mitigated and can only increase in court unless it can be proved that the offence did not happen. At this point I would advise you to pay the fine because it would be difficult to contest in court.
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

ostell*

Comment

Originally posted by Law Student 3 View Post
        A fixed penalty notice is not a criminal conviction. There is no official appeal process but if you decide to not pay, the issue will be decided in court. Details should be on the reverse of the notice informing you how to appeal the decision, if this is what you wish to do. If you decide to appeal the decision, it is advised that you look into getting legal representation to present your case in court. If found guilty the fees may increase and this will include court costs. Before proceeding with a court case, please remember that a legal case can be costly, stressful and time consuming. A fixed penalty notice cannot be mitigated and can only increase in court unless it can be proved that the offence did not happen. At this point I would advise you to pay the fine because it would be difficult to contest in court.

do not pay up that is not a straight forward answer, give detail here and certain members will advise before you run into your pocket!

Comment

Sorry, don't know enough about real penalties.

Comment

You admit to being parked on the zigzag lines.
            It is almost impossible to dispute parking on white zigzags (yellow zigzags are different)
            Pepipoo are the experts on this type of situation and here's a link to a thread on that site about zigzags*http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversio...hp/t21781.html

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X