• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My vehicle and the Police?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vehicle and the Police?

Hello All,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, i am looking for some advice.

Situation

My Vehicle has been stolen by a family member, but the Police are unwilling to take the case any further due to it being a family issue?
    Story
    I was asked to go on holiday by a family member, I did not want to go but the wife wanted to go, we could not afford the flights. Family member offers to pay for some of the flight, essentially *£300 loan in which we never received cash they paid for the flight, which I gave back one week into the holiday. *I drive to their property. Park the vehicle go on holiday. Argue. Taxi home to my house not the vehicle location. Day later try get my vehicle it’s been moved, I try to find out where and why because my wife argued about something with them I can’t have my vehicle back they told me! (believe it)
    Call the Police, explain the situation. Not much they can do at this stage they put a stolen marker on the vehicle, they need to find out if this is a civil matter or theft. An officer gets back to me and explain its been recorded as theft I need to come in and make a statement. So I go to the police station and give a statement, I explain what has happened provide the vehicle log book, v5 keys everything to prove its mine, officer takes the statement.
    Week later get a letter to say no further action will be taken, I call up and get hold of the officer. The officer explains it’s a civil matter because money has exchanged its now a civil matter. I try to argue that
    • £300 flight does not warrant position of a £30,000 vehicle
    • Its mine I own it I have all the paper work
    • The vehicle was not given for any form of collateral for the flight
    • If there was a loan it was paid back and proof supplied
    • Costing me loss of earnings
    • I don’t have transport
    • Madness
    The investigating officer is firm I need to peruse it as a civil matter.
    Days later I get a letter from the DVLA in which the person is now trying to claim to be the registered keeper of the vehicle, I call the DVLA demanding they stop sending anything out, the vehicle is mine etc.. they explain due to the stolen marker now being removed and Police classed it as recovered. Because of this *the person can apply to be the keeper, but not the owner. So with this information I call the Police back and explain ok recovery of the vehicle you class as a civil matter but surely if I DO NOT give permission for my vehicle to be driven and insured on the road this is theft but again they wont get involved. Some rubbish about there is no half way its stolen or not at all.
    So they can drive (presuming here I have the keys unless they have got one) drive my vehicle, damage my vehicle and yet they wont do anything about it. The only thing they can’t do I sell it at this stage!
    I feel so angry, would anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation. The Police are totally useless it seems in the one time in my life I need them.
    My Vehicle has been stolen by a family member, but the Police are unwilling to take the case any further due to it being a family issue?
    Story
    I was asked to go on holiday by a family member, I did not want to go but the wife wanted to go, we could not afford the flights. Family member offers to pay for some of the flight, essentially *£300 loan in which we never received cash they paid for the flight, which I gave back one week into the holiday. *I drive to their property. Park the vehicle go on holiday. Argue. Taxi home to my house not the vehicle location. Day later try get my vehicle it’s been moved, I try to find out where and why because my wife argued about something with them I can’t have my vehicle back they told me! (believe it)
    Call the Police, explain the situation. Not much they can do at this stage they put a stolen marker on the vehicle, they need to find out if this is a civil matter or theft. An officer gets back to me and explain its been recorded as theft I need to come in and make a statement. So I go to the police station and give a statement, I explain what has happened provide the vehicle log book, v5 keys everything to prove its mine, officer takes the statement.
    Week later get a letter to say no further action will be taken, I call up and get hold of the officer. The officer explains it’s a civil matter because money has exchanged its now a civil matter. I try to argue that
    • £300 flight does not warrant position of a £30,000 vehicle
    • Its mine I own it I have all the paper work
    • The vehicle was not given for any form of collateral for the flight
    • If there was a loan it was paid back and proof supplied
    • Costing me loss of earnings
    • I don’t have transport
    • Madness
    The investigating officer is firm I need to peruse it as a civil matter.
    Days later I get a letter from the DVLA in which the person is now trying to claim to be the registered keeper of the vehicle, I call the DVLA demanding they stop sending anything out, the vehicle is mine etc.. they explain due to the stolen marker now being removed and Police classed it as recovered. Because of this *the person can apply to be the keeper, but not the owner. So with this information I call the Police back and explain ok recovery of the vehicle you class as a civil matter but surely if I DO NOT give permission for my vehicle to be driven and insured on the road this is theft but again they wont get involved. Some rubbish about there is no half way its stolen or not at all.
    So they can drive (presuming here I have the keys unless they have got one) drive my vehicle, damage my vehicle and yet they wont do anything about it. The only thing they can’t do I sell it at this stage!
    I feel so angry, would anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation. The Police are totally useless it seems in the one time in my life I need them.
    Tags: None

I'd speak to the investigating officer again and make sure he understands the position.* He seems to be telling you that the fact that "money changed hands" is relevant as to whether or not this is a criminal matter.* Tell him that the money changing hands is unrelated to the fact that your relative has taken your car, and as far as you are concerned he has stolen it or at least has taken it without your consent (which is still a criminal offence).* Ask the investigating officer to confirm whether he is telling you that a family member cannot steal from another family member, and if that is what he is telling you ask him for a legal authority for that proposition.* If you get nowhere, tell him you are not satisfied with his decision and want to speak to his superior officer.

When you get nowhere either make a formal complaint under that constabulary's published complaints procedure or, if you want to try to get a quicker resolution, make a complaint in writing to your local Police and Crime Commissioner with a copy to the Chief Constable.* The Commissioner may just write back saying you need to follow the official complaints procedure, or he may instruct the CC to look into it.* The position of Police and Crime Commissioner is an elected one and they may be more likely to listen to a "constituent".

Comment

And telephone and write to the DVLA and inform that quite clearly that the car belongs to you, you are the registered keeper and you do not give them permission to change the registered keeper.* Inform the police in writing that you are the RK, your relative has taken the car without your consent and permission, and ask them to check whether you relative is insured to use the car as they have taken it without your consent.* (I would mention this in your letter to the Commissioner too).

You want to ensure that if your relative is not insured to drive the car, that you cannot be accused of permitting them to drive without insurance, and that they are not using with your consent/permission.

Have you reported the theft to your insurers?* If you haven't, but you maintain the car has been stolen, people may ask why you haven't reported it.

Is your relative a complete ****?* None of this is likely to improve family relations...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X