• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scotland Simple Procedures Claim for 2yr old PCNs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland Simple Procedures Claim for 2yr old PCNs

Euro Car Parks Ltd have filed a Simple Procedure Claim against myself as the registered keeper in my local sheriff court.

The offences are 6 tickets for parking outside a marked bay. Location of offence is a gated car park which only allows resident parking. The dates of the offences are around July 2017 (so over 2 years ago). No prior appeals have been made to any of the tickets.

Keeper's defence is not/unsure of driver as over 2year ago, will this be enough?

Have emailed SAR to their DOP@ECP and their solicitor as specified in the Simple Procedure Claims forms for correspondence, have had no response (after a week). I understand they have 30days but do I need to send request Recorded Post in writing so that there is a 'paper trail'?

Have yet to send Simple Claims Response Forms.

Thank for any advice in advance

Tags: None

They can do nothing against the registered keeper if they were not the driver at the time. Fill out the response form and get it back to the court before the Last Date for Response so they can't get a decree in absentia.

Email is admissible as evidence in court. I would probably put read receipts on from now and chase them up.

Disclaimer: I am not a solicitor and suggest you get independent legal advice.
    ----- DISCLAIMER -----

I am a former trainee Sheriff Officer who became disillusioned with the Scottish legal system so left the industry. I will offer insights from my first-hand experience, but *I am not a legal professional and you should always seek independent legal advice before acting on anything I say*.

Comment

**UPDATE**
      July 2020
      Just an update from initial proceedings from 2019.
      Case management hearing had been called in Dec 2019.
      It was quickly decided during this hearing, from papers filed from both parties, the Sheriff can only proceed with a Full hearing at a later date. It was scheduled for April 2020.

Due to a World Pandemic, the case was paused, but now a Case Management hearing has been scheduled via telephone Conference call for Aug 2020.
      The stipulations of the hearing calls for the following:
      • At the hearing, the Sheriff will expect both parties to be prepared to argue their case in full. Both parties should be aware that the sheriff may make a decision in their case even if they are not fully prepared to argue their case.
      • The respondent states that it is for the claimant to prove that they were driving.
      • There is no dispute that the respondent was the registered keeper at the material times.
      • The respondent is asked to clarify whether she was the driver of the vehicle at all or any of the material times
      • The respondent is reminded that the claimant require to prove facts from which an inference may be drawn as to who the driver/s of the vehicle was on each occasion the vehicle was parked outwith of the marked bay.
      I have been encouraged to offer a settlement to show, not as an admission of guilt but that I want to save the court's time and more importantly, to alleviate the stress this case has been causing.

August 2020

**Update
      Still no verdict can be made after telephone conference call. Another one has been scheduled.
      During this call, I was asked to name the driver. I maintained my right not to and was told "It is my right, but there are consequences to that right." Very nerve racking

ECP are pursuing the resident of the location these tickets were issued. They had given a witness statement in my Response against them. Due to this, the court has allowed ECP time to further pursue a response from this resident to admit to be the driver.
      I was again advised by the court to come to a settlement with ECP. And if I have access to legal representation if case may come to a full evidence hearing.

What powers would the Court have in Scotland if neither parties name the driver?

Appreciate any advice given, thank you in advance!

Comment

At this point I would suggest independent legal advice. I hadn't realised this was a residential parking issue instead of a commercial one, and you may be coming up against a resident who is tired of loads of people parking outside their residence.

And I've just found out that the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 has introduced keeper liability in Scotland.
        Last edited by Nostrus; 7th September 2020, 09:46:AM.
        ----- DISCLAIMER -----

I am a former trainee Sheriff Officer who became disillusioned with the Scottish legal system so left the industry. I will offer insights from my first-hand experience, but *I am not a legal professional and you should always seek independent legal advice before acting on anything I say*.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X