• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Excessive estimate for body work after voluntary termination of finance!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive estimate for body work after voluntary termination of finance!

Just looking for a bit of guidance on this issue.

This month my partner has decided to terminate her finance agreement on a vehicle after reaching the 50% mark. The finance is with Close Brothers.

The finance company sent an independent inspection company out last week to assess the vehicle.To our absolute horror the inspection has resulted in a bill for £1300 of "repairs" to body work.

The vehicle is actually a 2008 model very small car. (similar size to fiat 500 etc) with over 5 previous owners. How they expect a car worth £700 to be worth £1300 in repairs is beyond me.

The scratches are superficial with all "damage" was already pre-existing on the car (which we have photographic evidence of some of this damage dating back to pre-purchase)

I'm wondering if we have a leg to stand on here, as the Close brothers have offered to take the vehicle back as well as graciously present us with this bill.

It seems unreasonable to me that a 12 year old car could be expected to be factory fresh all this time later.

The car has done little over 31k miles in total and has done a mighty 1850 miles since we acquired it...

Any advice here would be appreciated as i have a feeling that collecting this vehicle and sending it to auction would actually cost more than the vehicle is worth (hence this estimate to make it worthwhile for the close brothers)

Kind regards
    Tags: None

So can Close brothers show the damage was NOT there when the agreement started? You can show it was

Comment

As far as I know it's just Thier word against ours. They have no evidence the damage wasn't there befor hand.

Comment

It's a 12 year old car for christ's sake and they are being unreasonable. You are right they cannot expect you to put the car in a better condition simply because they failed to do their job.

Up to you but this should be an easy dispute and suggest you start a formal complaint and then assuming they do not uphold it, take it to the Financial Ombudsman.

I've added an image below - the Court of Appeal case Brady v St Margarets Trust you might want to have a read of the section I've highlighted to support your complaint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brady v St Margarets Trust.png Views:	1 Size:	573.5 KB ID:	1485793
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

But you said you had pre purchase photos

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X