• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car insurance dilemma / problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car insurance dilemma / problem

Hi.
    in need of some advice. Long story short, Nov 18 whilst parked in private car I returned to car to find a lady putting her kids in her car that was next to mine . As I pulled straight out of the parking space there was a crunch ! The lady next to my car had opened her door and had rested it on my rear door handle so as I pulled away it dented my rear door and her rear door. We exchanged details , she was more panicked about her husbands lease car . I advised my insurance company but said I didn’t wish to claim as I didn’t want to pay the excess . After explaining what had happened I was told not to worry as obviously not my fault.
    Fast forward to lady month and I was informed that the other party had put a claim on against me. I repeated to the insurance company what had happened.
    I had a call today saying both the insurance parties had agreed to go 50/50. Again I disputed this. But my insurance company are now saying I should accept this as I may be at fault as I should have been aware of my surroundings!!

my main questions are as follows .
    I have actually changed insurance companies now, so no longer hold a policy with this company although I did at the time of the incident. They are saying that if I accept 50/50 I will lose 2 years no claims, which I don’t want to do, and obviously my premium will increase.
    Can they do that if I no longer hold a policy with them?
    Can I just ignore them as I no longer hold a policy ?
    Do I need to notify my current company as to what is going on ?
    Obviously I don’t want to lose my no claims bonus or have increased premiums for something I deem to not be my fault.

thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Replies to your questions:
    Can they do that if I no longer hold a policy with them? Yes, as they were the insurers at the time of the incident
    Can I just ignore them as I no longer hold a policy ? you can but I wouldn't advise it as you might find yourself paying for the 100% damage to the other car
    Do I need to notify my current company as to what is going on ? Yes
    Obviously I don’t want to lose my no claims bonus or have increased premiums for something I deem to not be my fault.You might not think it your fault but
    from your brief description I am not surprised at the 50/50 decision. To contest it will be expensive (court costs) and there is no certainty of winning

Sorry if it was not what you wanted to hear;but it is what you pay your insurance for
    A claim was made against you.
    You can dispute the matter yourself and if you lose pay the consequences, or you can make a claim and let the insurers sort it
    They will handle the incident in the way most suitable for them, as once you make the claim you subrogate your rights to them.

Comment

Also advise accept with grace the 50/50. just write it down to experience.

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies and advice .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X