• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DART Charge Appeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DART Charge Appeal

I have received a Penalty Charge Notice for Dart Charge. I crossed the bridge on 27th May, 2019 and I was supposed to pay the charges by midnight of 28th May, 2019, whereas I paid around 3:00 p.m. on 29th May. Over past 4 years of driving in the UK, this is only the second time I have crossed the bridge. First time, when I crossed in 2017, I was not even aware of Dart Charge and I received an exemption from the penalty charge notice. 27th May, 2019 was the second time, that I crossed the bridge. I wouldn't lie that I wasn't aware of Dart Charge but I forgot to pay the charge upon returning to London, only to realise on 29th May, 2019 afternoon.

There was no intention to not pay the charges and there's been a small delay at my end. As a matter of fact, £5.00 that I paid on 29th May, 2019 are not even adjusted against the penalty charge notice and they are withheld in my account for any future visit. Do I hold any ground to appeal for an exemption especially considering that I paid before the notice was generated and I also called their call center on 29th May and intimated them that I have made the payment and there has been a small delay at my end.

Please advise...!
    Tags: None

Any advise from our expert team or experienced motorists, who have been in such similar situation...?

Comment

I understand that a fine is levied if payment of the original charge is late.
      The penalty is not reduced by the amount paid towards the charge

If it was I, I'd pay the reduced amount offered for payment within 14 days

Comment

Thanks. My question was that do they not differentiate between some paying late by 16 hours vis-a-vis late by 16 days. That seems to be tad unfair. Especially when someone has made the payment within 16 hours of the lapsed deadline and the penalty notice period hasn't been even generated.

Views ?

Comment

you want a sliding scale?
          Tough

Comment

If I appeal on the grounds that driver took the car and crossed the Dart Crossing and I wasn't aware of the Dart Charge until I was told, which was 12 hours late of the deadline and as soon as I came to know, I paid it...will that ground help to save the penalty ? Also, am I legally liable to disclose the identity of the Driver ?

Comment

I don't know if that plea will work but under the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the Transport Act 2000 the person who is liable to pay any Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) issued in respect of a vehicle is its owner.

The owner may or may not be the person who was actually driving at the time. The fact that another person was driving the vehicle does not affect the owner’s liability for any penalty.

I did read that something like 80% of appeals are successful.

How to appeal: Challenge the penalty by contacting the issuing authority within 28 days of the notice being served. Quote your charge notice number and explain why you believe the penalty is wrong.

Appeal to the independent adjudicator: If your appeal is one of the few that are rejected, you can take it to an independent adjudicator. Information on how to do this will be included in the original rejection. You must appeal to the adjudicator within 28 days of the Notice of Rejection is received. Delivery is usually deemed to be 2 working days after the date on the notice.

Reasons for appeal to the independent adjudicator must fall into the following:

You were not the registered keeper of the vehicle when the alleged contravention occurred
              The vehicle was taken without the owner’s consent
              The owner is a vehicle hire firm
              The road user charge was paid on time and as required
              No user charge or penalty is payable
              The penalty exceeded the amount that applied in the circumstances
              There has been a procedural impropriety by the charging authority
              Compelling reasons

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X