• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Charge Notice received from PCM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Charge Notice received from PCM

Hi, my car was recently parked near a friends house in Bracknell, there isnt much parking on the road but there is a garaged area with enough open air space for about 4 or 5 cars to park without obstructing any of the garages. It was a friends birthday so there was 4 cars parked there including mine and they were left overnight. When I went to the car in the morning, all 4 cars had PCN notices on there windscreen and 'NO PARKING' signs had been put up near the garages which werent there before. Also on the PCN it states that photographic evidence of the offence was available via a QR code within 24 hours of the notice yet 7 days on now and the QR code still directs me to a link that says 'page not available' . Obviously, like anyone I dont want to pay it, but I also feel its unfair that they expect me to pay but I have no way to prove the signs werent there before. What can I do?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by freedom5791; 31st March 2019, 17:56:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi & welcome.

Golden rule....never ID who was driving/parking.
    Edit you post to say "the driver parked....etc. (ie remove all inference of the drivers ID.)
    Parking co's have been known to trawl the different forums...one actually took a screengrab of a thread & used it in court!

Ok...the windscreen notice to driver (NtD) is defective....it should show a period of parking, not just a time.
    It will make no difference if PCM have time & date pictures showing different times.
    The NtD is what counts.

If they try to enforce via common law breach of contract rather than the current legislation (Protection of Freedoms Act 2012...where the liability can be transferred to the registered keeper), common law breach can only be via the driver.
    I won't tell them if you don't!

Must be worth a drink from your mates!
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

and that is a nice forbidding notice and you can't contract to do something which is forbidden.

just wait for the notice to keeper to arrive before responding

Comment

PoFA 2012 Schedule 4, 7

7(1) A notice which is to be relied on as a notice to driver for the purposes of paragraph 6(1)(a) is given in accordance with this paragraph if the following requirements are met.

7(2) The notice must

(a) specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates
        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...dule/4/enacted
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

You must edit your post so that the identity of the driver cannot be inferred.

You can appeal, as the keeper, against the Notice to Driver that you have been handed so that the appeal arrives on day 26. You change your address slightly so that it is slightly different, but still valid, to that on the V5 certificate. They are only supposed to request the keeper's details from the DVLA after day 28. Your letter giving the keeper details saves them having to spend £2.50. They may issue a NTK using the details you gave them, detectable by that slight change of detail, or just continue talking to you without issuing a NTK. No NTK within 28 days or not contacting the DVLA are both failures under POFA and therefore they cannot hold the keeper liable, only the unknown driver.

Appeal points would be as given earlier: Invalid Notice to driver and signs that are forbidding and cannot create a contract with the driver.

Here's POFA. Paragraphs 7 & 8 are what you specifically need to look at.

Comment

OMG, thankyou so much EVERYONE for your help, it is immensely appreciated, I will definitely be recommending this site to people I know

Comment

Ive had a quick look at POFA and it seems to focus on unpaid parking charges whereas the place my car was parked doesnt have the option for people to pay to park, does this matter?

Comment

Originally posted by freedom5791 View Post
                Ive had a quick look at POFA and it seems to focus on unpaid parking charges whereas the place my car was parked doesnt have the option for people to pay to park, does this matter?
                All the more reason to state that the sign is 'forbidding'.
                A poor attempt to pass off a claim for damages (via the tort of trespass) to look like a claim for contractual breach.
                & I'll be willing to bet my shirt that the PPC doesn't have the authority/licence to action a claim for trespass. (Not that they would want to, anyway. Damages would be so trivial it would be laughed out of court!)
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks again, moving forward this is what I understand.
                  - The NTD is defective as according to POFA 2012 schedule 4, 7 a 'period of parking' should be shown, not a time.
                  - The signs they have put up are forbidding and you cant contract to do something which is forbidden

The only confusion I have now is when to contact them and in what format? ie
                  -Do I wait for them to contact me with a NTK or do I contact them about 26 days after the NTD?
                  -When I do contact them, is it to appeal the decision or to refuse acknowledgment of it as a contract doesn't legally exist?

Im sorry if I am coming across as naive or repeating myself, I just want to make sure Ive dotted the i's and crossed the t's so to speak

Comment

Originally posted by freedom5791 View Post
                    Thanks again, moving forward this is what I understand.
                    - The NTD is defective as according to POFA 2012 schedule 4, 7 a 'period of parking' should be shown, not a time.
                    - The signs they have put up are forbidding and you cant contract to do something which is forbidden

The only confusion I have now is when to contact them and in what format? ie
                    -Do I wait for them to contact me with a NTK or do I contact them about 26 days after the NTD?
                    -When I do contact them, is it to appeal the decision or to refuse acknowledgment of it as a contract doesn't legally exist?

Im sorry if I am coming across as naive or repeating myself, I just want to make sure Ive dotted the i's and crossed the t's so to speak
                    Well, they can't unring the bell re the defective NtD, & the NtK cannot rectify that.
                    If it were me I'd wait for the postal NtK to arrive....see if they've c*cked up there as well!
                    Others may disagree.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X