• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Definition of a Bus Gate and the possible legal ramifications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by des8 View Post
    Well the secretary of state has certain powers conferred by The Road traffic Act and The Road Traffic Regulation Act which enable him to make regulations.

The problem is that you are concentrating on the council having marked the road surface with the words "Bus Gate". There should also be other signage present indicating the route was solely for buses. They could just have easily marked the road "no pedestrians", but if the correct signage also showed the route was for buses only you would have committed an offence.

When you received your PCN did you go back to check the signage? if it did not comply did you check to see if the council had obtained permission to vary the signage? did you check if a TRO was in place?
    Or did you just think, I've never heard of a bus gate, it ain't in the Highway Code so it can't be right.

However there have been numerous complaints from all round the country about the signage of bus gates being inadequate or confusing, so you aren't alone
    Sorry only just seen this photo. I know its way to late but the council have really screwed up on signage. It looks like they have omitted the no entry signs as per the signs manual for bus lanes.

Comment

Can a council install a bus gate on a one way street which is not actually a bus route?

Comment

Well they can, but whether they may or should is a different matter.

Superted If you are looking for help please start a new thread and not reactivate one that is 3 years old

Comment

I received a fine from Bristol Council for going through a bus gate. I appealed the fine due to there being diversion signs that routed me to the bus gate, and on arriving at bus gate there was another diversion sign directing traffic through the bus gate, it was also on a one way street and no other alternative to avoid crossing the bus gate. They refused my appeal on the grounds that signage is clearly marked, but they did not address the fact there was diversion signage in place diverting traffic through the bus gate and the diversion signage didn't stipulate what vehicles diversion signage was for, therefore applies to all vehicles
          The other point in question was that it was a one way system and I had no option to turn around as I would have broken a law of driving wrong way along a one way street.
          I am not from Bristol and only drove through on that day, I adhered to all road signage and didn't enter any bus lanes etc but was under the impression that all traffic has the legal requirement to follow temporary diversion route marked with red diversion signage.
          I plan on sending it to tribunal, but would appreciate any advice or feedback off anyone who may have had similar experience or if there is a legal precedent in regards to diversions taking priority over standard road signage.

Comment

A1LOG If you are looking for help please start a new thread of your own and not reactivate someone else's that is over 4 years old. You are more likely to get useful replies from a new thread.
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

or try posting on Pepipoo (http://www.pepipoo.com/)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X