• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unfair parking ticket?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair parking ticket?

Hi all,

Some advice would be hugely appreciated here.

I used to rent a flat in my town and while there, I purchased several books of parking scratchcards from Horizon parking. With these, each has a calendar on the front and you just scratch off the date you are using one of the tickets.

I moved out of the flat but retained the tickets - as I'd paid for them I wanted to use them up if I ever pop into town.

In August I received a parking fine, even though I had a scratchcard displayed. As it turns out, the car park scratchcard system had been replaced with a new ticket type earlier in the year.

Horizon maintain that the signage says 'must display a valid ticket'. However my view is I would not have known the tickets I'd purchased were no longer valid. When purchased, there was no terms and conditions that came with the tickets and no expiry date. The parking appeal service POPLA also re-stated the 'must display a valid ticket' thing so rejected my appeal.

Could you tell me impartially if I should just pay up here?, or let them take me to court?
    I'm loathed to pay but suspect I'm being stubborn here as it's a parking company!

Thanks and regards,

Chris
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

I certainly wouldn't pay without a fight.
    You bought a tickets to park in advance,
    There was no expiry date, or other T&Cs.
    They haven't offered to buy back your pre purchased tickets, but expect you to pay twice.
    How are you expected to know what a valid ticket looks like.
    Did the signage mention the non validity of prepurchased tickets?

I'd risk court

What does ostell reckon?

Comment

They would be risking it in court as you can show you have a ticket. How can they say it is invalid

Comment

Thanks des8 ostell - appreciate your input. The signage didn't mention non-validity of those pre-purchased tickets. So I'm going to let them take me to court. If this thread is still open I'll feedback with the outcome! Cheers

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X