• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Someone impersonated me and cancelled my car insurance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone impersonated me and cancelled my car insurance.

So I found out today that I had been driving uninsured for 32 days...

However, through no fault of my own!!

Turns out that that my sisters ex-husband has called my insurance provider, after stealing my mail, and impersonated me saying that he knew nothing about the car insurance policy taken out in his name (mine) and that it should be voided. He gave my insurance company the the impression that it might have been setup by his ex girlfriend (which is actually my current fiancée) as the named driver to get lower car insurance premiums.

Course the car insurance provider believed he was me as enough personal questions (he knew me well) had been answered and subsequently voided the insurance policy.

Now, I only discovered this as I was thankfully checking my direct debits to make sure they went. And as it didn’t leave on the right day, I called my insurance company to discover the above and since proved that I was the rightful owner with V5 doc and Drivers licence.

So for a full month... had I have had an accident, with the car being on finance. I’d have been massively in debt (£12k) with a fraudulently voided policy. Never mind the potential 6 points, criminal record for driving with no insurance, fees for towing and impoundment, as well as fines and legal costs. I have also had my kids in the car and other friends and family.

I work in a a regulated industry myself and I double a criminal record would do anything positive for my career.

Thankfully I discovered this before I managed to get pulled over.

I have raised this with the police police and I am 4 days away from the initial appointment to officially log what has happened. I have also requested from my insurance company via Freedom Of Information act and GDPR subject access, a copy of the call recordings, number it came from (if recorded) and account data and all notes.

so my questions are:

Under GDPR and FOI, is the insurance company legally required to provide me recordings they hold on file?

What laws has my sisters ex husband broken?

if he was stupid enough to not have withheld his phone number and can be proven guilty, what would he face in terms of punishment / sentence?

Baring in mind this man is a solicitor running his own small legal aid / HR firm.

hi and welcome

No point in double posting, peeps only get confused.
    It is Sunday evening so you may well have to wait until tomorrow for a reasoned response.

In the meantime, for what it's worth, I think your main problem will be proving it is your ex brother in law who was responsible.
    I doubt he has left his name and address or will put his hand up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X