• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anyone ever had a fixed penalty overturned?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had a fixed penalty overturned?

Ill be brief.

bought car June last year.
    Thought I had set up insurance.

Pulled by Wiltshire police in december. No insurance. Accepted fixed penalty at roadside, 6 points £1200. Bought insurance at roadside to save car getting siezed.
    Phoned insurer next day (Who I thought I was insured with since June) they say it never went past quote stage.

Contacted by this insurer approx two months ago saying that there was a glitch in the quote engine and my policy was never set up. I phoned them and spoke to team dealing with this issue. Explained. They have since sent me a letter saying they will indemnify me for the day in question I was pulled by police.

My barrister asked the central ticketing court team to overturn it but they say they cant as it never went to court.
    My barrister then asked Wiltshire police to overturn it, but they have said this is not possible as they feel i have plead 'guilty' by accepting the fixed penalty (I only accepted it and paid fine etc. after I phoned the insurer the day after and they said I was never insured.)

Really not happy at insurer. Is there anything I can do to get these 6 points taken off? Has this ever happened before?

Thanks fora ny help.
    Tags: None

Hello

Not particularly my area but maybe des8 might be able to assist.

On a more general note, paying the fine and taking the points would be deemed as an admission of guilt and if you didn't believe you were guilty you should have disputed it which meant going to court and arguing your case. I don't believe there is an automatic right of appeal for a fixed penalty notice so you are sort of caught in limbo, and it might be an expensive job (if you don't have any legal insurance cover) to try to get it overturned if it was even possible.

If there is no option to appeal without incurring a substantial amount of costs, you could however, look to be compensated for the 6 points given to you as a result. The difficulty is then quantifying the compensation amount for those 6 points and I am not even what sort of criteria you could use to determine the amount.

Hopefully Des might be able to shed more light on this.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

hi
      I don't see anyway of having the penalty overturned.
      you would probably have to petition the Queen (via the Secretary of State for Justice) for a pardon, and I don't really see that being a possibility.

the other option (to recover your money) is to take on the insurers.
      you only accepted the penalty because the insurers wrongly stated you were uninsured at the time of the alleged offence.
      They have since corrected this, so IMO should be reimbursing your costs
      the cost of the six points on your licence could be quantified by comparing insurance quotes with and without the points, and obtain 4 quotes with points
      having been received 4, 3, 2, 1 years ago (IN 10 is not received kindly by insurers.. almost as bad as DR10!)

If the insurers are unwilling to come to the table, I would first suggest a complaint to the FOS,
      if they don't come up with an acceptable solution you could then possibly initiate a court claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X