• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Operation Crackdown Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Crackdown Report

Over the years, I have made a handful of Operation Crackdown reports on antisocial driving backed up by supplied video footage from my Dashcam. The normal response from the Police has been that the offender has been sent an 'advisory letter'.

Recently however, I reported an offence that was more serious i.e. dangerous driving/driving without due care and attention, and the Police have been in contact stating that they have sent the registered owner a Notice of Intended Prosecution and the registered owner has 28 days to respond and identify the driver at the stated time of the incident. That 28 days expired yesterday. The Police have sent me, by email, a long form to complete, and return by email, 'at my own convenience'. The only way I can complete this is to print it out, complete as necessary and either scan and return or post. The Police do not make this easy. They have also requested that I keep the footage safely should it be required and 'burn it to CD' for their use. Alas, even a minute of Dashcam footage exceeds the memory potential of a CD.

What are my obligations here? I have already indicated that I would prefer not to attend court. I am also waiting on them requiring the completed form and the requested CD as I have little means to comply with their current request. Someone indicated to me that the registered driver may indicate on his NIP that he does not know who was driving at the time. What happens in that case? And do I assume that the video footage, that had the date and time recorded on the footage, can be argued against as it comes from a third party?

It would be interesting to know the procedure and any experiences of motorists have been shown such footage by the Police and what options the Police have at that time depending on the response.

Tags: None

Will they accept a DVD? I know our local police do. They may just have used CD as a generic term

Comment

Just an update on this question, I have received no further contact from the police despite my having emailed them for advice on what they expect next. I am concluding that with the popularity of dashcams and more and more people using them, the Sussex Police 'Operation Crackdown' site has probably been deluged with reports, and with the ongoing police budget reductions, I am sensing that this site is not receiving it's fair share of attention. It's amazing really as I am left bewildered about where I stand. So, to my mind, time to file it all and put the kettle on!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X