• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used 2nd Hand Car from Dealer/Trader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used 2nd Hand Car from Dealer/Trader

Son in law is going to look & hopefully buy a used car from a dealer/trader tomorrow, I have a concern over the advert

GENUINE MILEAGE OF 86,000
    TO LOOK AT AND DRIVE THE CAR YOU WOULD THINK IT HAD DONE A WHOLE LOT LESS.
    WELL ABOVE AVERAGE CONDITION.
    IT HAS HAD 2 OWNERS + THE SUPPLYING DEALER FROM NEW.
    THE CAR COMES SERVICE HISTORY (12 STAMPS IN THE BOOK) AND OTHER DOCUMENTATION TO VERIFY THIS VEHICLE HAS NEVER WANTED FOR A PENNY IN MAINTENANCE.
    LAST SERVICED 11/05/2017 @ 82537 MILES.
    THE CAR HAS THIS WEEK BEEN FITTED WITH A REPLACEMENT FLY WHEEL AND CLUTCH KIT.
    WE WILL BE PLACING IT THROUGH AN MOT TEST BEFORE THE AUCTION ENDS SO IT WILL COME WITH A FULL YEARS CERTIFICATE.
    ABSOLUTELY SUPERB, SAFE, LUXURIOUS SPECIFICATION INCLUDING:-
    DRIVER,PASSENGER AND SIDE AIR BAGS
    ANTI LOCK BRAKES
    ELECTRONIC TRACTION CONTROL.
    POWER ASSISTED STEERING
    AIR CONDITIONING
    ELECTRIC WINDOWS
    ELECTRIC MIRRORS
    REVERSE PARK ASSIST
    ALLOY WHEELS
    FRONT AND REAR QUICK CLEAR SCREEN
    ETC. ETC.ETC.

THE EXTERIOR IS FINISHED IN SILVER METALLIC.
    CLOSE INSPECTION WILL OBVIOUSLY REVEAL AGE RELATED IMPERFECTION SUCH AS SMALL STONE CHIPS AND LIGHT SCRATCHES THAT CAN ONLY BE EXPECTED ON AN 11 YEAR OLD SECOND HAND CAR.
    IN REALITY, FOR ITS AGE AND MILEAGE, IT IS VERY TIDY AND PRESENTABLE
    DRIVES REALLY WELL WITH NO KNOCKS, BANGS OR SQUEAKS.

THE PERFORMANCE AND ALL ROUND RIDE QUALITY ARE ABSOLUTELY SUPERB.
    THERE ARE NO WARNING LIGHTS ON THE DASH BOARD.
    THE 1997cc DIESEL ENGINE IS VERY, RESPONSIVE, SMOOTH AND QUIET.
    THE POWER ASSISTED STEERING IS FEATHER LIGHT.
    THE SIX SPEED TRANSMISSION IS SMOOTH BOTH UP AND DOWN THE GEARS.
    SAFE AND LUXURIOUS MOTORING AT ITS VERY BEST FOR VERY LITTLE MONEY.
    VERY ECONOMICAL WITH 50 MPG + EASILY ACHIEVED

HPI CLEAR. NEVER BEEN INVOLVED IN ANY ACCIDENT AND FREE FROM ANY FINANCIAL AGREEMENTS

My concern in the advert he/they go onto this

TO ABIDE BY CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE ABOVE DESCRIPTION IS ACCURATE TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE AND THAT ANY KNOWN FAULTS HAVE BEEN LISTED.

ANY VEHICLE WE SELL THAT HAS EITHER COVERED IN EXCESS OF 50,000 MILES OR IS OVER 5 YEARS OLD IS SOLD AS SEEN FOR SPARES OR REPAIR WITH NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR GIVEN.

If it says it on the invoice is it their get out of jail free card, I've personally said to the SIL if they put that on the invoice I would walk away, but what's the actual legality, as he is paying a premium to buy from the trade, he may as well buy private.
    Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.
    Tags: None

Like you I would walk away.
    The problem bit is "Sold...for spares or repair" which is the phrase used when a vehicle is not roadworthy!!
    It is illegal to sell an unroadworthy vehicle, hence seller must make it clear the vehicle is not being sold for use on the road.

However it is probably only a dealer trying to cover his back, and in view of the rest of the advert could be ignored.

Advise SiL to have the car independently examined (RAC/AA????) otherwise we may have him back asking for R0b advice!!!!

Comment

Oh ..one more thing.
      Have him do his own HPI check, the one you have to pay for and gives a £30,000 guarantee

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X