• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax issues

I am posting on behalf of a freind who is an international student in manchester.

(all dates are date of issue)

On the 21st December 15, a council tax bill was recieved for 67.98. "Reason for council tax bill adjustment: change in circumstances which affects the empty property discount"

On the 20th january 16, final notice recieved

18th febuary, court summons. £149.98 total amount. court date 10th march 2016. council tax payable period 02/09/15 - 19/09/15

11th march, warning of enforcement action letter recieved. they are requesting a form be sent back or they will take him to court again, threatening £500-£1000 fine.

As fast as i know, these are all the letters that have been recieved, all have been ignored and he didnt turn up for court. As he is a full time international student, he should be council tax exempt right?
    He is wanting me to draft a letter to the council to explain the circumstances. I have a feeling he will need to pay and they try and go down an appeals process. Any info appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax issues

Hi jm1g & welcome to LB

I must admit, I don't know too much about CT matters, but I think I 'know' someone who does!

@Crazy council
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

What he needs is a student status letter which universities are used to giving , some councils want a new one each year

I think the problem he will have is that the liability order has already been issued

I would give the council a call and explain the circumstances , make sure you note the name of the person you speak to and follow it up by letter

Comment

This is correct as I myself have used the student council tax exemption certificate. In this case it seems as though the council have taken issue with the fact that my friend arrived in this country in early september, and the course started late september, so theyre trying to claim for that time. I dont know how this works because that isnt how it works for me, but im a UK citizen

Comment

I worked in council tax for 23 years but retired in 2014 so a bit out of the loop here!

It seems that the 'Student Certificate' has been accepted from the start of the course, in later September, so the 17 days prior seems to not be exempt and subject to payment. An empty property discount between lets is for a restricted period and if that expired prior to the tenancy take up on the 2nd September, then a council tax charge would have applied. What were the exact dates that this student spent in the property? Does he still remain there? Has he obtained and remitted the Student Certificate?

Comment

I suppose the question will be, is this the students 1st year

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X