• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council unable to produce copys of final demads notices

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • council unable to produce copys of final demads notices

    hi all,

    I am helping my partner out with a out council tax debt dating back to 2005/06 which has recently surfaced and been passed to enforcements.

    couple of quick questions

    1) if the council is unable to produce any evidence bar a screen shot showing it was issued or the address they where issued to, is this ok?

    2) if the liability orders where granted in 06 - ten years ago are they still enforceable?

    3) if they where passed to enforcement in jan 15 when will they revert to back to the council remember reading somewhere that its after 12 months?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: council unable to produce copys of final demads notices

    1) yes, they don't have to keep paper copies
    2) yes, a liability order doesn't become statute barred
    3) that will depend on the specific arrangement between the council and the bailiff

    If your partner doesn't think they owed this money then they should put in a formal complaint to the council saying this, explaining why and saying that because there has been no contact for more than x years, they thought the matter resolved and haven't kept their paperwork. Ask for the debt to be written off. At the same time contact a local councillor and ask for their help with the matter.


    • #3
      Re: council unable to produce copys of final demads notices

      Hi ...

      Local authorities always try and collect council tax debts of any age and only write off debts if 'they are uneconomic to pursue'. Having said that, if they have located you, then that is good enough. However, even in write off mode, council tax debts can be written back in if contact with the debtor is established. If the liability order was granted at the appropriate time after non payment, then the debt remains enforceable.

      Passing for 'enforcement' depends on whether the council operates its own 'in house' enforcement agents or passes the whole case ( and debt ) to external enforcement agents. Councils can be resolute that the debt stays with external agents regardless but they always have the power to request papers are returned for whatever reason i.e. there may be vulnerability in the household or doubt proven on the correctness of their case.

      When was the last written contact between the council and your partner? Does your partner accept that the debt is correct? Frankly, you are better off negotiating with the enforcement agents to minimise stress and pursue the matter to resolution. Be prepared to either pay the debt in full or offer a reasonable amount up front and a payment plan to follow. And also be prepared to pay costs!


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


      No announcement yet.

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      upgrade to vip

      Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

      only £15/yr

      Offers available. No subscription traps.

      sign up now

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm