• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax issue

Hi Everyone
    Some advice please.
    I currently claim Job seekers allowance. At one point I was claiming ESA, but this changed when my appeal to continue claiming was turned down. During the transition period (4 months) of entering a new claim for JSA, I naturally incurred arrears for rent and council tax. In June of 2014, I made a repayment plan with council for both rent and council tax arrears, which the council agreed too. Since November 2014, I am also having deductions for council tax arrears taken from my JSA. I suppose my question is, can the council take what is in effect two amounts for the same debt? I have kept up with my repayments, although this does cause hardship, I'm surviving, just! If anyone can advise, I would be obliged. Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax issue

I think you need to call the council and explain what is happening, I am sure you should only be paying one and do you have it in writing about the agreed repayment plan?
    The council must have instructed DWP to deduct the amount from your JSA and it look like they have missed you are already in a payment plan.
    Only my opinion though.
    Enaid x

Comment

It's certainly wrong if you are already paying the council from your benefits a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing, usually known as incompetence!

nem

Comment

Hello,
        Many thanks for your reply. I have written and spoken to the council and visited the local office. Still no joy. Unfortunately, with my medical condition, this is just adding to the stress. I will endeavor to write again and see if I can at least get a response and perhaps someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Again thank you for your help.

Comment

Contact your local councillor, explain what is going on, and they should help you sort it, especially as they can inquire into what the revenue office are up to. Maybe this is a Capita infested council.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X