• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Liability Order Notification received after 6 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Liability Order Notification received after 6 years

Hi - I hope someone can help.

This morning, I received a Liability Order Notification from my council for unpaid Council Tax. It states that a "Liability Order was granted on 11/09/2008 for £1,416.35 including £95 costs" but then goes onto say I now owe £802.50.

The other thing that confuses me is why they've waited for 6 years and 1 month to tell me about it. Could it be that they now don't have to provide me with the original LO as 6 years have passed?

I did speak to the council on the phone in January 2013 after receiving a letter saying I owed abut £2000. I told them I had been living overseas and had sublet my flat. They told me on the phone £11,934.20 was now owed by me as I couldn't prove who was living here at the time as I hadn't informed them I was living overseas. I then received this email and statement from the council on 8th January, 2013:

"I write further to your call to this office.

I have enclosed a statement of account for your reference.

From the statement of account you will see that a total of £9746.18 was written off (suspended from recovery action) as advised. The total outstanding balance on this account is £11934.20 for the period 1 April 1996 to the 30 September 2008.

As discussed, in order for me to consider a monthly payment arrangement for you to repay this balance, please complete the attached Incoming and Outgoing Form and return to this office as a matter of urgency. I will then call you so we can discuss this further.

I hope this clarifies the situation to you.

If you have any queries regarding this letter or your Council Tax, please telephone us......."

I replied the same day by email saying "Please send copies of all Liability Orders for this debt." I never heard another word until today.

I have been paying council tax since 2009/10 from memory so am very surprised that the council didn't contact me at any time since they obtained the LO in 2008.

What should I do?
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax Liability Order Notification received after 6 years

Hi

can you prove who was living there at the periods that you wasn't.

on that statement, they have written of most of the CT, and are charging you 2100 ish, for years 2008 onwards. trhey have written of the cost on most years as well.

If you do owe that from 2008, then write to them, sayin that you now understand what you owe, but becuase of all the false overcharges and claims for prior years, that have been written off, and because your paying ( or getting benefit ) for your current year. That you consider it unjust to demand the full

Offerthem whatever you can afford, extra each month, ont top of your CT payments, but be realistic. Most councils would struggle to refuse and offer that pays it within 2-3 years. Do it in writing.
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X