• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax fraud letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax fraud letter

Hi all, iI have received a fraud letter from council tax. They aremail investigating me. I have. Been with my partner for several years but we have lived in separate houseshare in different parts of the country. I claimed the 25% discount on my house and the other half claims the same on there house. I think that was correct way to do it no problem. My partner used to come every Friday evening and them go back to there house every Sunday evening.. This is over 140 miles away. The letter and phone call from ct says that my partner has been credit checked and had a link to my address. Yes they do because they pay the sky TV and mobile phones and also they have their car insurance at my address. Just because it was cheaper. I can't see what that has to do with ct as I said we both had separate houses so technically we were single claimants on each house. My partner left there work last Nov and came to look after me during my recovery from an operation. They have been travelling back to there area and staying at there grans and also coming back here to stay with me forapprox 3 days a weeksince dDec 2013. Partner was claiming jsa from my house and finally got a job in may 2014 and now stays here with me fulltime. The CT are now saying my partner signed the electrol role for sometime in Feb 2014 I explained that my partner was ultimately planing on staying here but until they found a permanent job they was doing the above. Ct are now trying to say that my partner has links to me at my address for a few years.. I'm like so what we had 2 different houses. Any help or ideas. I just want to start paying what I should and stop this ridiculous. Fraud allegations
    Tags: None

Re: council tax fraud letter

Originally posted by kstyle12 View Post
    The letter and phone call from ct says that my partner has been credit checked and had a link to my address. Yes they do because they pay the sky TV and mobile phones ...
    So it's a reasonable supposition.

... and also they have their car insurance at my address. Just because it was cheaper.
    That's fraud.

Partner was claiming jsa from my house ...
    Why, when they weren't there full time? Why give the DWP the wrong information?

The CT are now saying my partner signed the electrol role for sometime in Feb 2014 ...
    Did he/she?

Ct are now trying to say that my partner has links to me at my address for a few years.
    On your own admission, they do.

Comment

Unfortunately by allowing them to use thwe address for car insurance, you have given the council sufficient in their minds to go after you

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
        Unfortunately by allowing them to use thwe address for car insurance, you have given the council sufficient in their minds to go after you
        Yes but I have lived in another address for the last 8 years and paid council tax there and have genuinely been doing the above when I found a job that's when I moves in full time. So worst case scenario?

Comment

You might have to pay a full double helping of the old council tax, one for each house
          Depending on what information they have, you could be charged with fraud.
          You may very well have to pay back all that you received in discount.
          From reading your post, and this is just my honest opinion.
          I would rule that you have avoided paying your full council tax on both houses.
          But I would also rule that if you paid back all that you owed, then no further action would be taken.
          Other than a hearty slap on the wrist.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
          “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy007 View Post
            You might have to pay a full double helping of the old council tax, one for each house
            Depending on what information they have, you could be charged with fraud.
            You may very well have to pay back all that you received in discount.
            From reading your post, and this is just my honest opinion.
            I would rule that you have avoided paying your full council tax on both houses.
            But I would also rule that if you paid back all that you owed, then no further action would be taken.
            Other than a hearty slap on the wrist.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
            I dont see how I would have to pay full for both houses I lived alone in my house and the other half lived with the kids in her house I went there for about 37 hours at the weekend so basically we were classed as single as far as living goes

Comment

Hi

You have not been ibdividualy targeted. They check the register for inconsistancys every year. Its the ct vote register that has caused you a problem. It does not matter what you and your partner have paid for each othere. Only that your not permenently livingvtogether.

If you have bills for gas water and electric at each property. That shoild do. Send them in. Staying weekends is fine.

You need to send them an email. With the bills. A statment that says you live in seporate homes. And ask them to provide you with any evidence that its untrue.

Remember. The discount is not a partner tax. Although councils try use it like this. Its a living together tax.. as long as its not your partners permenant adress. You not doing anything wrong. Does not matter what bills you pay forveach othere.

You need to have your partner removed from thr electrol register. Do this at the council by providing them your partners othrr adress
              crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I am referring to your statement.
                I claimed the 25% discount on my house and the other half claims the same on there house.

You say, QUOTE: Your other half claims %25 discount on there (their) house.
                Their indicating, that more than one person lives there.
                Be very careful if that is the case.
                Fraud is a serious criminal offence...
                Fraud by false representation (Section 2) of the Fraud Act 2006

The defendant:
                • made a false representation
                • dishonestly
                • knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading
                • with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.

The offence is entirely focused on the conduct of the defendant.

If you can just pay it.
                “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy007 View Post
                  ....Their indicating, that more than one person lives there.
                  Be very careful if that is the case....
                  Their, meaning the others who because they are children will not count and the 25% discount still valid.

Originally posted by kstyle12 View Post
                  ....I lived alone in my house and the other half lived with the kids in her house....

Comment

Originally posted by outlawlgo View Post
                    Their, meaning the others who because they are children will not count and the 25% discount still valid.
                    Unfortunately she hasn't clarified that point, and another adult (sibling) could be living there and bringing in a wage.

Comment

If anyone is guilty of fraud it is most likely the council defrauding the taxpayer by paying £millions each year out of the public purse to these credit reference agents which provide misleading information.

Comment

Interesting point outlaw. I did some research on this after the audit commision report. Over half the councils reported sucsess were challanged and withdrawn....

To kstyle. Is your partner on the electrol role at the othere address in prior years.

Do everything in writing or by email. The instructions i said in the prior post will sort it. Let us know how you get on.
                        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Interesting point outlaw. I did some research on this after the audit commision report. Over half the councils reported sucsess were challanged and withdrawn....

To kstyle. Is your partner on the electrol role at the othere address in prior years.

Do everything in writing or by email. The instructions i said in the prior post will sort it. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post

Hi
                            Yes she was on electrol role at all the other addresses as her own I was on the electrol role at my other addresses kids are under 16 I signed the electrol role in Feb this year at hers but moved in full time may so I suppose that's what I have to back pay to

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X