• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

removal of single occupancy discount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: removal of single occupancy discount

You will have to argue that point with the Council as a Serviceman your regiment must be able to help in this.Youi cannot be the only one in the Military facing these types of problems.

Is your partner now being billed the full amount if so is she paying it? To easy for the Council to get a Liability Order against her if she falls behind with the payment then things get worse.

Hard truth time to sort it !

Comment

Please, I wasn't arguing against you, just showing that your type of problem is not unusual among service personnel and you have a fight ahead.
      It is up to the council to make a decision about where they consider your main residence to be. (Councils do seem to have some peculiar ideas about this)
      If they won't reconsider their decision your only option is the valuation tribunal, and you have already started down that route.

I suspect as you have been described as "partners" the council regard you as immediate family and therefore this is your main residence.
      You will have to convince the tribunal this scenario is a misinterpretation of the position.

A letter from the landlord won't harm your argument.

As an aside I do feel our armed forces are not treated well in many respects, I have family members in army and RAF and have just represented one at an AFCS appeal (successfully)

Comment

I'm not saying your arguing. I'm just trying to use the legislation against them. They have also miss quoted what we have said I.e my partner said that I return on the odd saturday night and they are now saying that she has said I return there when on leave.

Comment

As you only "return on the odd Saturday night", could you demonstrate to the Tribunal that when on leave you stay elsewhere?
          Perhaps not in one single place,(don't want someone else to have a similar problem) but with various family or friends.

Comment

Has she told them in writing 3 or 4 times a month? if so a Copy of that letter should be useful.

Comment

I have told them stay at other people's houses when on leave but like you said I give them there address and then it creates a problem for my friends. She has told them in writing "the odd saturday night"

Comment

To easy for them to say you are there longer than you say if they have been offered no alternative you are protecting others at the detriment of your partner/girlfriend when we look at this from the outside we can see problems for you.

There must be a way forward her easy I said before the Service you are in must be able to help if you are based some miles away might be difficult for the Council to say you travel back so often but they would need a bit of proof .

I am not trying to find in favour of the Council but they do at the Moment have the upper hand

Comment

Might be worth copying in your MP.

Make sure that your next letter to the council is prominently marked 'cc. [insert name] MP'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X