• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax arrears 2011 help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax arrears 2011 help please

Hello In 2013 I received a summons for court due to incorrect information given to me by a council employee. There was additional costs of £125 added, and so went to 2 different advice agencies, and spoke to the council on several occasions , both told me the costs could not be removed. After a bit of research, I went to court and got the cost waived, providing I pay all that was due by March 2014. I did this but was surprised by an email which stated they had removed the court costs, but found I owed £154.99 from 2011. I stated I have no recollection of this, and asked for paperwork for that period. Last week I received an email stating in 2011 I called them, refused to pay and the debt is changed to £103.99. Of course I find it strange how they took 2 months to issue a summons in 2013 when they were in the wrong, but did not do so, when I apparently refused to pay despite their email showing payments that I did make. The employee told me he has arranged for me to pay this back at £25.00 per month not knowing what my financial situation is. I can ask again for the proof, considering once again they do not know what they are doing, hence the 2 different amounts owed, but if anyone has any additional advice would be very grateful.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax arrears 2011 help please

Dont talk to them on the phone . Send everything by email followed up by hard copies. Insist they deal with you in the same way. Keep everything. Ask them for a breakdown of the bill and make sure that they are aware of any possible entitlements you my have t a reduced bill. If the council is close then pay installments in cash every pay day . and keep the receipt.

Comment

Re: Council tax arrears 2011 help please

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
      Dont talk to them on the phone . Send everything by email followed up by hard copies. Insist they deal with you in the same way. Keep everything. Ask them for a breakdown of the bill and make sure that they are aware of any possible entitlements you my have t a reduced bill. If the council is close then pay installments in cash every pay day . and keep the receipt.
      Hi Thanks for replying, the breakdown they sent me was done on a table, no scans or hard copies sent. I am on a very low income so get full housing benefit and am currently paying the 2014 CT on a monthly basis. Therefore I cannot pay the amount demanded by them anyway. Even though I have paid the last two months, once again they have threatened court action, looks like they're so annoyed at having to remove the 'court costs' they are determined to take me back to court again. I will ask again for the original copies during that period, and send hard copies as you suggest. Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X