• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax help

Could someone help me please.I'm so upset.I owe my local council £3500,I was paying them £50 per month up until Dec 2011.They then passed it to the bailiffs,which I was paying every month without fail,until last month when the bailiffs sent it back to the council I have been intouch with the council this morning after sending them a disclosure of earning which was done for me at the CAB.This was done on my wage only as the CAB said that they wouldn't work out the disclosure on myself and my partners money only mine as he wasn't liable for the debt only myself.Anyway to cut a long story short I have been intouch with the council this morning as they want a disclosure of both of our wages.I have made an offer to them which they have thrown out.I really can't come to an arrangement to pay something that I can't afford.As to me that is stupid.Please tell me what I can do as I'm scared of going to prison,it's not a fact that I won't pay,more of a fact that they are making unacceptable amounts that I can pay.Please someone help me I'm beside myself
    Tags: None

Re: coucil tax help

When are the debts from - for the total being so high it has to be for more than 1 year?
    Did your partner live with you for the periods of times stated or for part of the times?

Comment

Yes they are from a couple of years ago.And yes he did live with me.Thanks for replying.
      Last edited by downtrodden; 24th March 2014, 18:34:PM.

Comment

If he didn't live with you then the debts are solely yours. Similarly the Bailiffs may only seize the goods of the debtor - you - and there is nothing to stop you disposing of your own effects providing they have not been levied upon.

I would be wanting to know why the Bailiffs have now returned it to the Council. I would also need some further information from them as I would hazard a guess the Bailiffs have helped themselves generously to fees from the monies you have paid. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

As for the Bailiff, send them Letter 1 from the Useful Letters in the Stickies above.

Comment

Another question I should have asked is did you live alone at the time the debt was incurred or with someone else. If alone then Ok but if someone else then they also can be made to pay.

Comment

Re: council tax help

There has only been one liability order that was in 2011,I went to prison in the December of that year,I couldn't make any payments while I was inside so when I come out I got intouch with the council so I could resume my payments.I was informed that they had passed it to the bailiffs.The council knew I was in prison and they also told my partner that once I was out I could resume payment.Anyway I come outbid prison get intouch with them to pay again to be told it was passed to the bailiffs.The bailiffs come out o make arrangements to pay them which I do,then they say I am not paying enough.They then want £365 per month which by all accounts I earn 420 a month,I was told by the bailiff office to carry on paying the amount I first agreed to which I have done since Dec 2012.I have never missed a payment and have all reciept numbers.They kept sending the van out threatening me.Then they passed it bk to the council.Which is where I am at now.It's just a vicious circle.I feel as if I have been on a roundabout of emotion and just want to get off

Comment

I'm not trying to get out of paying I want to pay it,but I want to be able to afford to pay it

Comment

OK after havin read your PM I understand a lot more now.

You need to do part of what I listed above and that is to find out how much the Council have received from the Bailiffs. Please do write to the Bailiffs though for a breakdown of their charges.

In the meantime carry on paying the Council direct. This can be done via online banking, Council website, automated phone line or in cash at the Council offices. You will need the Ref No that makes sure it goes to the correct account. If you decide to pay cash at the Council and are refyou make used ask politely for the name & position of the person refusing as this may form the basis of any complaint. The Council are obliged to accept any payment you make.

Comment

Thank you so much,you don't know just how grateful I am for the information you have given me.I will do exactly as you have suggested tomorrow morning.Thank you so so much,thanks to you I will hopefully have some sleep instead of lying there thinking that I can't carry on.You Mr Ploddertom are a legend.x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X