• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

advice needed please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed please.

I recived a letter from Middlesbrough council yesterday, saying I owe £1391.11 on two address that I lived at over 12yrs ago, this is the 1st time I'm made aware of this debt, I'm going to ring the council I just need some advice on what to ask for, I have no paperwork for addresses in question , it's come as quite a shock & I'm deeply worried. Im also worried that the council will run rings round me with all there jargon & I've got nothing to support these claims. please help Thankyou
    Tags: None

Re: advice needed please.

Hi woody,
    I would send a Subject Access Request details here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ur-information

This will show how they have come to say you owe this money or not as the case may be.
    Although you have no documents you will know the dates you moved etc and should be able to prove if need be.

Comment

Thankyou for your swift reply, & link o really appreciate the help

Comment

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

If it is from so long ago you must also ask them to provide proof the Liability Order exists - it is not good enough for them to simply say you owe it. You should also ask what their write off policy is - this must be the policy that was in force at the time of the debt and not what exists now.

Comment

If no Liability Orders were obtained within six years of the debt having been incurred, it would be too late now.

Comment

Thankyou both for this information, I phoned the council on Fri 7th Feb, they said they would email me all the details, so now I just have to wait to receive it. I also asked if the debt had been passed on to dept collectors or if bailiffs were involved & they said no, which I fine strange, I also lived at another address in Middlesbrough for 7yrs & never had a letter about c/tax arrears for the two previous address, I was working part-time had 2 daughters living with me, was getting some HB & c/tax benefit so I can't understand why I owe so much & why it's taken 14yrs to track me down ,

Comment

Hi, I contacted Middlesbrough council about the outstanding council tax they say I owe from 14 yrs ago. I've just got another letter from them with two separate accounts they said I owed £1391.11 now they say I owe £946.88 which is a big difference, can I ask them for a complete breakdown including what benefits I was getting at the time ? Ask they say they have sent a letter to my employer asking them to make deductions out of my wages, can they do that ? Any avdvice greatly appreciate thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by woody66 View Post
                  Hi, I contacted Middlesbrough council about the outstanding council tax they say I owe from 14 yrs ago. I've just got another letter from them with two separate accounts they said I owed £1391.11 now they say I owe £946.88 which is a big difference, can I ask them for a complete breakdown including what benefits I was getting at the time ?
                  I'd say that you really must do that, as it seems they simply do not know what they are doing; even a child at primary school should be able to calculate 3/4 of £1,391.11, yet it seems they cannot.

they say they have sent a letter to my employer asking them to make deductions out of my wages,
                  Oh, isn't that nice?

can they do that ?
                  They shouldn't do so without a Liability Order and, to get that, they'd need to establish how much you owe and that the debt is not already time barred by section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980.

However, the council is infested by Crapita...:tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Read post 5 again and make sure they provide proof.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X