• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax-Re single person discount,what constitutes a 'person' living with you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax-Re single person discount,what constitutes a 'person' living with you?

I am a retired lady, own home but on a low income so that I qualify for a large council tax rebate and pay only £60 a year instead of over a thousand. I get no other benefits whatsoever. My partner stays at my place quite a few nights and days, however he does have his own property on which he pays full council tax with just his single person discount. In view of the recent local Council Tax Single Person Discount Review letter that arrived which is conducted by Capita Local Government Services, I need to find out whether my partner staying at my property does contravene in any way. Is it correct that a person staying less than 5 nights would not affect my rebate? Thank you in advance for any advice:reindeer:

Re: Council Tax-Re single person discount,what constitutes a 'person' living with you

The amount of nights makes no difference whatsoever.
    If your OH has his own place and pays CT there then it's noones business

BUT......BE VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP FINANCES ETC SEPERATE,DON'T LET HIM HAVE POST DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS..DON'T LET HIM DO CREDIT SEARCHES AT AT/FOR YOUR ADDRESS.....cos if there's one thing the DHSS loves doing is assuming folks live together as though husband and wife.

Comment

Re: Council Tax-Re single person discount,what constitutes a 'person' living with you

Dodgy ground here as we have read in the past some councils would assume they live together best to check with council how many days they can stay before the rules say they are living together saves the proverbial later

Comment

Have a read of this thread http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...perian-equifax

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanniesw View Post
          I am a retired lady, own home but on a low income so that I qualify for a large council tax rebate and pay only £60 a year instead of over a thousand. I get no other benefits whatsoever. My partner stays at my place quite a few nights and days, however he does have his own property on which he pays full council tax with just his single person discount.
          Even so, the Council may alledge that he is living with you full time, and yet - for reasons best known to himself and which need concern no-one else - still choosing to pay full Council Tax (less the single person discount) on his own property.

In view of the recent local Council Tax Single Person Discount Review letter that arrived which is conducted by Capita Local Government Services ...
          Ah ... Capita. Be aware that you are dealing with an extremely unpleasant commercial organisation. Do not allow yourself to be bullied or pressurised into supplying personal information (either about yourself or another), to which they have no entitlement.

As Inca suggests, make sure that you do not allow any trail, no matter how innocent.

Ideally, you need a written statement from the Council stating how many nights and how frequently visitors may stay. As it would be unwise to put yourself on the radar, this enquiry would be best made by someone paying full Council Tax.

Comment

Above all, do not believe Crapita when they say they are "entitled" to fit a remote sensing load cell onto your bed. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Above all, do not believe Crapita when they say they are "entitled" to fit a remote sensing load cell onto your bed. :grin:
              Better still tell Crapita they are bellowing loudly from their bowel bugle, and are entitled to diddly regarding your boudoir.

Comment

It might not be a bad idea to remind the local authority and the clowns from Capita that they are both subject to the Human Rights Act 1998. Capita may swear blind it doesn't apply to them, but any corporate body carrying out any function on behalf of government - local or national - is subject to the Act.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I got my info straight from an investigator from my council,albeit not recently.if your partner can prove he has his own property for which he pays CTax and all his own bills..then tell Capita to saddle up and go annoy someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                    I got my info straight from an investigator from my council,albeit not recently.if your partner can prove he has his own property for which he pays CTax and all his own bills..then tell Capita to saddle up and go annoy someone else.
                    Exactly so, the Scooge-like money grubbing poltroons from Crapita and a greedy grasping LA cannot have it both ways, if he has his own property asnd is paying Council Tax, then he cannot be cohabiting with you. Now if either of you were to sell up and cohabit, then if it is the same council, they would then be the loser.

Comment

LOL - wouldn't be surprised!!!

Comment

Thankyou for your input, appreciate it.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice, which is greatly appreciated. My partner does not have any correspondence whatsoever coming to my house which should certainly help in the event of any query, however to play safe, he will make general enquiries from our local council. I appreciate the advice re 'not letting them bully' and I can assure you that this will not happen! Thank everyone

Comment

Update on my original post. My partner has visited the local Council to find out in person what the 'rules' say. He has been told that providing he has his own property and is paying Council Tax on it and has all his mail, accounts etc listed at that address then there is no ruling to say that he and I are 'living as man and wife' at my property. He was told there was no limit to number of nights he could stay at my property - the old 3 night only ruling having long gone many years ago. He was told there is nothing in writing about this, which is a real pain.
                            This all seems 'too good to be true' and wonder if there is any other way I can clarify this, particularly in writing, without putting myself on the radar as mentioned.
                            In addition, with a recent declaration being returned to Capita, could anyone advise regarding their proceedures, ie phone calls, visits in person etc? Better to be forearmed to deal with such a body! Again, thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Comment

Pleased to hear you seem to have it all sorted. More disturbing to find they appear to make the rules up as they go.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X