• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax I shouldn't owe!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax I shouldn't owe!

Bit annoyed at this and not sure what my options are. In 2011 I rented a flat for 6 months. At the end of the lease I called the local council to make good my bill until the end of the lease and notify them I would be no longer living at the flat. I was given the balance to pay over the phone which I paid there and then and was told my account was cleared and nothing else was required. I then did the same with the utilities companies.

This week, 2 years later, I get forwarded a letter from the council saying I owe them not only money from the council tax but over £200 in fees for them to trace me!

Firstly, as far as I am aware I owe nothing! Secondly due to the fact I owe nothing it's not my issue that they have incurred fees tracking me down!

They have a record of the payment I made, £385.99. Now it's not likely I would have called and made an arbitrary payment of that amount is it. That was the amount I was told to pay to clear the account until the point I left. I'm sure somewhere I must have a statement from them showing £0 outstanding but it would be hard to find after 2 years and quite possibly binned by now as I've moved twice. So where do I stand, can they chase me for money that as far as I'm concerned I don't owe because someone there made a mistake? If they made a mistake at the time and gave me the wrong balance to clear, again that's not my fault is it?

Any thoughts?
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax I shouldn't owe!

You need some details from the Council:
    1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
    2 - the dates they were obtained
    3 - how much each is for
    4 - the address each one relates to
    5 - the dates each one covers
    6 - the dates and amounts of any payments

There is a good chance they are charging for a period of time after you moved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X