• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Summons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Summons

Help!

Me and my partner this morning has just received a council tax court summons asking for £149 each or the hearing will still go ahead.

We moved into the property February this year, He receives DLA, and I receive Income Support for both of us and Carrers Allowence so as far as I knew we got our council tax paid for us, I'm only 19 so I don't have much clue on what happens. This is the first time I have ever heard anything from the council about council tax!

What do I do?? Do I got to court and fight my case or do I roll over for them? Also partner who has also received a summons is registered as disabled, does he have to go to court on his own?

Thank You.

Re: Council Tax Summons

Is this a genuine summons? (many scammers and DCA's send out lookalike documents). Contact the court and check.

Contact the council and ask for a council tax bill.

Contact the DWP. Make an appointment to see an advisor. The whole situation can then be explained to you. Don't forget to ask for written confirmation regarding the council tax.

Comment

Since April when the system changed, unless you apply for and qualify for some additional help, people on benefits will not have the whole bill covered anymore (thanks for putting people in penury IDS) and will have to find depending on council 10 - 20% of the bill from your other benefits, same as Poll Tax where people on benefit had to pay a percntage of the charge irrespective.

Comment

Originally posted by AJGUY View Post
        Help!

Me and my partner this morning has just received a council tax court summons asking for £149 each or the hearing will still go ahead.

We moved into the property February this year, He receives DLA, and I receive Income Support for both of us and Carrers Allowence so as far as I knew we got our council tax paid for us, I'm only 19 so I don't have much clue on what happens. This is the first time I have ever heard anything from the council about council tax!

What do I do?? Do I got to court and fight my case or do I roll over for them? Also partner who has also received a summons is registered as disabled, does he have to go to court on his own?

Thank You.
        Which court issued these "summonses" and what is the address quoted on them? Also, did you inform your local authority you had moved and when?
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I was going to comment, but I think you've enough to be going on with. Good luck sorting it out and keep us up to date.

Comment

It seems's like a genuine one (not that I would know), it's headed with North Tyneside Council with their address and other contact info. On the other page it has the address of my local magistrates court with a date and time, it then has summons number, and a breakdown of "debt" £69.43 Council Tax (01APR2013 to 31MAR2014) and £80 Complaint Summons Cost.

When I filled the Housing Benefit form in I was under the assumption that it covered Council Tax as it asked if I wanted to make the claim for both HB and Council tax.

If it changed in April should they not have told me? I know they have my number and email address so I don't have a clue why I've had a communication break down with them!

Comment

Looks like the OP is on a benefit where since april they have to pay towards the Council tax just like thousands of others?
              I accept they must pay bit 80 quid on top that's a tax on being poor yet again

Comment

Originally posted by AJGUY View Post
                It seems's like a genuine one (not that I would know), it's headed with North Tyneside Council with their address and other contact info. On the other page it has the address of my local magistrates court with a date and time, it then has summons number, and a breakdown of "debt" £69.43 Council Tax (01APR2013 to 31MAR2014) and £80 Complaint Summons Cost.

When I filled the Housing Benefit form in I was under the assumption that it covered Council Tax as it asked if I wanted to make the claim for both HB and Council tax.

If it changed in April should they not have told me? I know they have my number and email address so I don't have a clue why I've had a communication break down with them!
                Are you living in England? If in Wales then for this year at least council tax relief is 100%

Check these links for the background

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...il_tax_benefit

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...in_england.htm

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/t...s-8458132.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20039452

You are not alone:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/19-000...ail/story.html

In the Nottingham scenario residents on benefit have to find 8.5% of the bill from their other benefits.

Might be worth checking this part of the Shelter link out:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...e_a_disability

Comment

If you needed to make two separate applications for Housing Benefit and CT Benefit, I would do two things. Firstly I'd contact the council and explain what has happened. Ask if they will withdraw the summons while you sort things out with the DWP. Secondly, if they refuse I'd notify your Councillor, your MP and email the CEO of your council, with a copy to your councillor and MP explaining the circumstances, explaining it's £80 you just have not got and the form at the DWP was misleading, and see what they say. You might at least get a payment plan to spread things over - I doubt they'll remove the £80, but you never know.
                  Last edited by labman; 10th November 2013, 12:51:PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Thank you everyone, I'm going to call them in the next 30 minutes and hope they can do something, I'll ask them if they can withdraw the summons and if they can withdraw the cost's. Finger's cross!

I'll post back once I talk to them with an update.

P.s I do live in England.

Comment

Right just got off the phone, spoke to someone from the council tax department first, told them that this was the first I heard about it, he said that TWO letters were sent out, and if I didn't receive them I must contact my local post office (passing the blame of course). He said the summons would still go ahead BUT I could pay £30 a month and no further action would be taken. I then spoke to someone from the council tax benefit department and she said that I was receiving the right amount for a 2 working adults, I explained that I my partner is mentally disabled, and I am a full time carer for him, and she said "it didn't matter he was still working age" so I have to pay at least 7%.

My council tax is £16 a month so I don't mind paying that, but I'm annoyed that I wasn't told and because of that I've been summoned to court.

I swear it's the ones with the genuine issues that get dragged around.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X