• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax woe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax woe

Hi guys.

I've been browsing this forum for a bit - a lot of useful information I must say. I'll keep my post short, as it's late.

I was living with my Mother from June 2011. Due to her MS she moved out of the property in question and I took liablity for it.

A few weeks later, the Council Tax statement arrives. First thing I notice was that there we no entries for February and March. I had a quick search on the internet to find that most Councils do not charge for these months. I pressumed me Council did the same. I plan to make payments, as the statement requested, from April 2012. I'll admit fault now, I forgot about the letter for a couple of months but back-dated my first payment and made subsequent payments.

In the mean time, the Council starts demanding tax off my Father, for the property; bearing in mind he hasn't lived here for over three years. I understand that Councils will chase homeowners for tax, but he rang the Council and explained that I was liable and had been making payments.

In September 2012, the property is sold and I move in with my Father. I now start receiving letters from the Council demanding payments off me for the previous months. I wrote to the Council to explain that I had already made payments and could they check their records. They come back to me to state that they cannot find these payments. I then send them a second letter with the amounts and dates the money was paid (At this point I go on holiday for two weeks). I return from my holiday to find that a liablity order has been made against me for lack of payment.

Yeah - I'm pretty angry at this point. So I contact the Council again asking them why they haven't acknowledged these payments. In December 2012 they finally acknowledge that I made the payments - but quickly change their tune, saying that I am liable for another account and for another financial year. They said that the payments I made were for a different account which wasn't in my name.

I have now had to prove that I wasn't liable for the year they are stating and for the account they are stating. They have sent me over 20 letters demanding payment for the two financial years. I have complained several times about this and finally (25th January 2013) they have halted court hearings against me whilst the matter is investigated. But I received a letter on 29th January 2013 from the Council saying that they aren't at fault and payments are due for the accounts/years they are stating.

I feel completely helpless. The Council aren't responding adequately to my correspondence and it seems that they state amounts owed then are asking me to prove I don't owe them. I have put forward an offer to pay off the debt but I feel bullied into it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Joe

P.S. sorry the post wasn't "short".
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax woe

Which council is it? To whom did you address the letters?

Have you had telephone contact with the council, or face to face contact? If so, did you speak to the first tier staff, or did you speak to someone higher?

Many councils outsource their Council Tax administration, so depending on the council, it may be you have not corresponded with the council themselves at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JAOrton View Post
      A few weeks later, the Council Tax statement arrives. First thing I notice was that there we no entries for February and March. I had a quick search on the internet to find that most Councils do not charge for these months. I pressumed me Council did the same. I plan to make payments, as the statement requested, from April 2012. I'll admit fault now, I forgot about the letter for a couple of months but back-dated my first payment and made subsequent payments.
      Strictly speaking, it's not that they 'don't charge' for February and March, what happens is that they calculate the amount payable on an annual basis, then divide it by 10 rather than 12, resulting in 10 monthly installments rather than 12.

Originally posted by JAOrton View Post
      In September 2012, the property is sold and I move in with my Father. I now start receiving letters from the Council demanding payments off me for the previous months. I wrote to the Council to explain that I had already made payments and could they check their records. They come back to me to state that they cannot find these payments. I then send them a second letter with the amounts and dates the money was paid (At this point I go on holiday for two weeks). I return from my holiday to find that a liablity order has been made against me for lack of payment.

Yeah - I'm pretty angry at this point. So I contact the Council again asking them why they haven't acknowledged these payments. In December 2012 they finally acknowledge that I made the payments - but quickly change their tune, saying that I am liable for another account and for another financial year. They said that the payments I made were for a different account which wasn't in my name.
      How were these payments made? If they were made by direct debit or internet banking, statements would show the money going out of your account. If you paid online using a debt card, you would get an email confirmation. As this is fairly recent, you should still have the emails or access to the online statements, etc. to show payments being made.

Comment

​Hiya and to legalbeagles..I'm sure the good folks on here will be able to give you sound advice

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          Many councils outsource their Council Tax administration, so depending on the council, it may be you have not corresponded with the council themselves at all.
          From their apparent level of ineptitude, can one assume it's run by Crapita?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            Strictly speaking, it's not that they 'don't charge' for February and March, what happens is that they calculate the amount payable on an annual basis, then divide it by 10 rather than 12, resulting in 10 monthly installments rather than 12.
            I blame Harold Wislon for decimalising the currency.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              I blame Harold Wislon for decimalising the currency.
              Would that be this Harold Wislon?

http://www.amazon.com/King-Harold-Wi.../dp/B0062LY1WY

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                Yes, "Lady" Forkbender's sometime employer.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Yes, "Lady" Forkbender's sometime employer.
                  Ah yes! Dear Marcia, the Lavender Lady - she who deprived the BBC of £75000. As if she would have .......

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X