• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

old council tax being chased

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old council tax being chased

Hi

I could really do with some advice. Back in 2001/2 I lived in a shared house with another housemate. I gave my housemate money each month for the bills and they were paid from his account (I paid the rent, was just how we how we worked it). It was covered under Hounslow Borough council tax. I moved out of there in September 2002, told the council I was moving and gave them a forwarding address, then thought no more of it.

3 weeks ago I got a letter from Hounslow council out of the blue, saying I owed them council tax. It was addressed to me and my old housemate. I called them up to query it and they sent a bizarre bill, which didn't really calculate, but included £97 fees for recovery costs. It was now addressed only to me and not my old housemate. It also said that the matter was being handled by Newlyn bailiffs. I wrote back saying that as this was over 10 years old, it was now statute barred and I didn't acknowledge the debt. I sent that recorded post and also copied in the bailiffs.

Today I got a letter from the bailiffs saying that there was a liability order taken out against me in 2010 (first I heard about it) and I have 14 days to pay or they'll seize my property and charge me for visits. But this was still 8 years past the debt and so surely statue barred anyway?

My question is this - I don't feel that morally the bill is mine. I can't defend myself as it's my old housemate's bank account from over a decade ago, the amount is statute barred too. However, I'm terrified that the bailiffs will turn up and start charging me and/or force themselves into my property and take my possessions. I know that I can complain to the council, but will it do any good?

Anyone got any advice from experience?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: old council tax being chased

Council Tax is never Statute Barred providing the Liability order was obtained within 6 years of it being due. If the dates you have are correct then this should be let go.

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
    1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
    2 - the dates they were obtained
    3 - the addresses they were for
    4 - the period of time each covers
    5 - how much each one was for
    6 - how much is still outstanding
    7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
    8 - the dates & amounts of any payments
    Please note they need to prove you owe the debt not just say it is outstanding.

If it is due then unfortunately you are jointly and severally liable meaning the Council can make either of you pay dependent on whoo they think they have the best chance against. If you want to contest it you would have to pay it first and try claiming off your housemate later.

Comment

You can have more than one liability order? Wow! This is all news to me. And this can be done without even telling a person that you're getting it? I.e. the council can just seek it out and I have no right to defend myself or even know about it? That seems massively unfair :-(

Comment

They probably sent the letters to the old address. Are you still in touch with your 'friend'? If you have an address you should pass it to the council.

Please follow Ploddertom's advice though. Once we have that information we can move forward.

Comment

I havent contacted the councillor yet my wifes been in hospital.could you give me any ideas as to what to put in a email to him.ive had a letter from bailiffs today saying they are going to come out again to levy on my car.i spoke to someone at the bailiff an thy said thy are allowed to charge for each visit on each seperate account.is this right?

Comment

Sorry wrong thread

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X