• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cancelling single person discount?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling single person discount?

Hey everyone, i'm new here. I've got plenty of experience with fighting local councils regarding unjust parking tickets and know that system fairly well - so i'll try to help out in the other sub forums from time to time. However, I was looking into something quite out of my remit here and need a bit of advice if possible...

I've been claiming single person discount for about 4 years now as I was the only person living in my home. My partner moved in recently and we've had a baby and got on with life. I'd completely forgotten about updating my council tax status and have recently got a letter asking if i'm still the only person living here.
    Now, I realise i'm supposed to have told the council within 21 days of someone else moving in - but i'll hold my hands up and admit that i'd completely let it slip. Anyone who's had a child will know you've generally got a lot more going on in your life at that time and things can slip.

The letter I have had is the standard 'we've been cross checking with external agencies etc'.
    I intend on letting the council know I am no longer entitled to the single person discount, however i'm wondering if it is a) required by law that I supply full details of who else lives with me, and b) what date they moved in? My partner was living with her mum, but staying at mine quite often. Over a few months it became more and more frequent and she slowly started to register letters etc to my address. There was no 'official' move in date in my mind, but i'd assume in legal terms my house could have been classed as her main residence for a good 6-12 months now (even though she stayed at her mums quite regularly during this time).

Would it be sufficient to just send them a letter stating that I am no longer entitled to it? Council tax has been paid at both addresses, so I don't believe anyone is 'out of pocket' so to speak. I'd just rather not have to back pay any amount I was discounted, then have her mum mess around trying to get backdated single person discount etc.

Any advice here?
    Tags: None

Re: Cancelling single person discount?

Different properties and liabilities.

It is likely that they will ignore the one (entitled to discount but didn't claim it at the mothers address), and focus on the other (got it at this address when not entitled to it).

Unfortunately, you are liable, and might possibly even be prosecuted.

Comment

So what is the solution? Send them a letter explaining i've been underpaying since X date and offer to repay the balance? From what I gather reading other threads, the flag in the system (likely experian data) is probably due to my address being the registered correspondance address for a few things of my partners.
      Are they likely to start some kind of investigation when I inform them of the change in circumstance, or will they just cancel the discount?

Comment

They will ask for dates.

Comment

I think what i'm getting at is; I realise i've messed up a bit here - but don't particularly want to incriminate myself any further if I can help it. If I wrote a letter saying I'm no longer entitled to the discount, would that suffice? Or is there specific legislature that requires me to supply full names, previous address and date moved in of my partner?
          What's the best course of action to resolve this situation amicably, hopefully without dropping myself in it and being prosecuted?

Comment

Originally posted by mr-c View Post
            So what is the solution? Send them a letter explaining i've been underpaying since X date and offer to repay the balance?
            Are you liable to pay the tax at both properties? If not, then the two issues cannot be linked. If the mother was entitled to start claiming the discount but didn't, they will simply smile. Her overpayment is not credited to you.

From what I gather reading other threads, the flag in the system (likely experian data) is probably due to my address being the registered correspondance address for a few things of my partners.
            There is nothing to stop you accepting mail and deliveries for someone else.

Are they likely to start some kind of investigation when I inform them of the change in circumstance, or will they just cancel the discount?
            That you have been contacted means that it is likely that they are already investigating. On the other hand, some councils are known to try it on at random.

You could try to brazen it out, or you could come clean, give them as little information as possible, and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm still unsure if there is specific legislation that compels me to give names and any details of other persons living at my property. Does anyone know this off hand?
              Happy to tell them who she is, but the moment I tell them she moved in before 21 days ago, i've then incriminated myself!

I might try 'brazen it out' and write them a letter stating i'm no longer entitled and see what happens... I suppose there could be enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that my partner lived at my address to consider it her main residence for a period, but I doubt they are likely to have been sat outside my house all day and night for weeks on end to 'gather evidence' right? Seems like it'd cost a fortune for the council to run this kind of surveillance, in order to get back a couple of hundred quid in tax.

Comment

Originally posted by mr-c View Post
                Thanks for that. I'm still unsure if there is specific legislation that compels me to give names and any details of other persons living at my property. Does anyone know this off hand?
                Not that I am aware of, although there is the matter of the Electoral Roll, the updating of which is compulsory.

I suppose there could be enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that my partner lived at my address to consider it her main residence for a period, but I doubt they are likely to have been sat outside my house all day and night for weeks on end to 'gather evidence' right? Seems like it'd cost a fortune for the council to run this kind of surveillance, in order to get back a couple of hundred quid in tax.
                Some have actually done this, and more, spending thousands of pounds spying on someone for no real purpose. In your case however, it is possible but unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                  Some have actually done this, and more, spending thousands of pounds spying on someone for no real purpose. In your case however, it is possible but unlikely.
                  That's bizarre! The penalties for not informing my local council are below:
                  If you don't, you can be fined £70.00. If you still don't inform us after that, you can be fined another £280.00

I'd imagine they would perhaps spend a lot on surveillance to make an example of a few people, but I can't imagine it being standard practice. Although we all know how councils love to **** money up the wall...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X