• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council threatening legal action for unpaid services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council threatening legal action for unpaid services

Hello all,

I'll start by saying that this thread is not about council tax persay but about council services, so many apologies if I've posted in the wrong category. I wasn't able to find one that was a more appropriate fit.

Last September I moved in to a property which does not have a connection to a mains sewer. Instead, all 'waste' is collected in an underground sceptic tank. To have the tank emptied you either have to contact the local borough council, who will them arrange for it to be emptied on your behalf, or you can contact a private company directly. I live alone and decided I did not need to have the tank emptied for quite a while. One day a tanker arrived outside my house, according to neighbours and while I was at work, and proceeded to empty the tank. The driver left a 'ticket' confirming the amount of waste extracted and various details relating to a service agreement. On the ticket it had an agreement number and my address, but not my name. Under 'forwarding address if different from above' it had the name and new address of the previous tenant. It also stated in the notes section 'Agreement Term: annual agreement'. Clearly the previous tenant had an annual service agreement in place. After a month or so I received an invoice for the work which confirmed the original ticket number but had a new agreement number on it and was addressed to 'The Occupier' instead of the previous tenant. I have concluded that someone has realised the previous tenant has moved on and had forgotten to cancel the agreement. It seems a new account was set up, the amount owing transferred to the new account and, because they have no idea who the new occupier is they can't address me personally (despite me paying council tax at that address for over a year!). Since the invoice I've received a 'first' and then a 'final' reminder from the council treasurer demanding payment for the outstanding invoice. The reminders were also sent to 'The Occupier'. The final reminder states that the matter will be passed to council solicitors, incurring extra costs, and my (or 'The Occupiers' more like) credit record may be affected if I do not settle within 7 days.

So here is my question I'm hoping someone can answer; Can legal action, and credit record action, be taken against me as 'The Occupier', despite the reminders and warnings never having been sent to me personally? Is the fact they were sent to the correct address enough for them to justify appropriate warnings were given to me personnally?

I'm concerned that, despite my initial assumption the council would eventually realise their administration error and eventually stop hassling me, it has now gone too far. At the beginning it was fairly black and white to me and I thought that it would be impossible for anyone to demand payment for a service I didn't ask for. To me it's no different to a window cleaner cleaning my windows without my consent and then hassling me for payment. Am I right to assume the council haven't got any right to demand payment from me? Or, are they somehow entitled to force payment for services they've provided, without my consent, the same as they do for council tax payments that cover all the other services they provide (services such as refuge collection, etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice on this,
    Bob
    Tags: None

Re: Council threatening legal action for unpaid services

legal action against the occupier

this is the automated threatograms gone mad, no human intravention

i take it you have allready sent the council a letter explaning the situation

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, no I haven't sent a letter to the council yet. Basically I've been too busy and also, for while I ignored any mail sent to 'The Occupier' or 'The home owner' as they are usually junk! The fact the mail came in envelopes marked with the council logo didn't entice me to open them either as I've received many similar envelopes in the past year with notices regarding planning permission sort by neighbours and surrounding land owners. I opened the most recent envelope though, received 2 days ago, with the 'final reminder' in it and that's when I decided to trawl through my recycling and 'to be shredded' pile of paperwork, only to find the previous letters and invoice sent some time ago.

To be honest, due to the tone and content of the 'final reminder' letter I was reluctant to acknowledge receipt of this and any previous correspondence in case it has a negative impact in some way.

Comment

You should read your Tenancy Agreement carefully.

Comment

Yes, this is the first step. Look out for specific terms relating to septic tank/waste. Unless something is mentioned in your tenancy agreement, the recurring agreement will only apply to the principal, and if he/she is required to give notice, the bill should be still applied to them.

Comment

Is that relevant though if I'm a tenant to a private landlord, not the borough council?

Comment

It may also be worth asking to see the original agreement.

Comment

Well, your tenancy agreement should say something about the septic tank. Otherwise ask the council for the order/contract under which they've emptied the tank.

Comment

Well, had a call from the council today to say they had cancelled the invoice. Quite unhappy with the casual attitude of the caller. I said "So basically you invoiced someone else hoping to recover the cost of your mistake from the new occupier?". Didn't get a direct answer just assurance that the invoice was cancelled. These automated threat letters really get on my nerves! The older generations and/or someone more gullible may not have been so willing to "test" how far their local authority were prepared to push, and may have paid the bill without questioning it. Don't like their tactics one bit!

Comment

Well done. Any chance they can confirm cancellation in writing?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X