• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Being hounded to pay for Council Tax I am not responsible for...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being hounded to pay for Council Tax I am not responsible for...

Can any one help with some advice?

When I received a reminder that this year's original Council Tax bill that was in my name had not been paid and that I would be subject to further proceedings, I informed my local council again that the person responsible was the owner of the property who was my landlord and he also resided at the same address, and that I was only a lodger renting a room. This was the second call I had made to their office explaining the same situation, the first time when I received the original bill. Until this summer, the Council Tax Bill had always been in the name of the landlord/owner but somehow (and not by my doing) the bill started to be addressed to me. The landlord has been away since April but returns in October. The property where I live is his main address and he is a resident of this country entitled to work here and he pays taxes but he is not a citizen. I have spoken to him and he confirms that he did not ask any bills to be in my name and that he was responsible.

I was unaware of any actual proceedings against me and I would have willing dealt with this matter first hand in Court but I was neither informed of a hearing nor told that a Liability Order was being obtained against me. I have had no correspondence with the exception of the original council tax bill and the reminder. The first I was aware that a Liability Order had been obtained was when a letter from Newlyn arrived with a demand for £ 2137.52. This was dated 14th September 2012 but arrived on 20th September 2012. I called Newlyn and explained the situation and the person said he would contact my local council and I should call back in a week. I also called the Council Tax department of my local council and the person dealing with it listened to what I had to say and then went away for a few minutes and returned to tell me that I should supply proof that I am renting a room and anything else that proves my status. She stated that I should do this by attending the Council offices with originals documents and a covering letter which will then be copied and passed on to the Council Tax Department. I said I would do this early this week as I am reliant on others to help me get out and about (I am disabled). However, I was told that until I do this, I am still liable. I called Newlyn this morning to let them know that I was being taken to the Council offices tomorrow morning and that this matter will be resolved shortly but the person there stated that until they hear otherwise from my council, I am still liable and so their bailiffs can take action when they are in the area - even later today or tomorrow!.

I am worried that I will have to pay for something I am not responsible for just because my Council has obtained a Liability Order against me. It really feels like like they do not care who pays as long as they receive their money and if they have to gouge it out of me, so be it!

What can I do to make sure I am not forced to pay this and how can I make sure they set aside the Liability Order and recover whatever they are owed from my landlord?

Please help...I am in a panic!
    Tags: None

Re: Being hounded to pay for Council Tax I am not responsible for...

did your letting agreement etc say things like council tax, internet, tv licence etc were included in the rent

if you told the council you are disabled then you are classed as a vulnerable person and the council should take back the warrant

Comment

Yes, my Lodger agreement states that the Council Tax is the landlord's responsibility...I also read the guideline on my council's website and it confirms that the person responsible is the Owner if he resides at the property and where he he has lodgers unless there is a specific requirement for them to pay as well.

Comment

so get this to the council

also tell them to withdraw the warrant as you are classed as a vulnerable person being disabled and take proof

Comment

If this helps anyone...the council is Harrow

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
            did your letting agreement etc say things like council tax, internet, tv licence etc were included in the rent

if you told the council you are disabled then you are classed as a vulnerable person and the council should take back the warrant
            er..no go..I rang and told them but no go...I am still liable and they will let me know otherwise if after I have dropped my papers off they agree they have made a mistake. The attitude is clearly one of..'We do not err...you must be lying'. It is so frustrating!

Comment

Contact your local Law Centre or Community Legal Service office who can provide you with free or very low-cost legal advice/assistance. A letter from a legal professional to a local authority tends to make them take things seriously rather than try and fob you off with any old nonsense.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If you are in Harrow West, contact your MP Gareth Thomas he has dealt with similar problems well.

Make sure if you phone either the council or the bailiffss that you put everything in writing as well. It may be better to write than call, keep copies of everything and send your correspondence by recorded delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
                  If you are in Harrow West, contact your MP Gareth Thomas he has dealt with similar problems well.

Make sure if you phone either the council or the bailiffss that you put everything in writing as well. It may be better to write than call, keep copies of everything and send your correspondence by recorded delivery.
                  Will do...this is a lesson I learned since Thursday. The council did nothing to correct the situation despite my two previous calls and instead got the Liability Order without even informing me. So yes, your suggestion is now my mantra!

Thank you

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion...I am writing to my MP and I will try and get some legal advice as well but it appears that this is now not so easy as it once was. Like I told someone else today, I was in a real panic earlier but after reading stuff on this site and others, I realize these guys are just trying to use bully tactics to get money regardless of whether I owe it or not. I feel much better now and I am going to take all the advice I am given get the matter resolved. Thanks!

Comment

I may be missing the obvious here, but is there not a significant onus on your Landlord to sort this out for you?

Comment

The Landlord is away until October....he frequently travels back to Japan and can be away for long periods of time. This has never happened before and it has taken both of us by surprise. I did speak to him and he did say that he would deal with the matter as soon as he got back. In any case my Lodger Agreement states what each of us is responsible for and it is clear that I am not responsible for the Council Tax.

Comment

How are you getting on, Jayzen ?

Comment

Interesting I found this thread via google search. Surprise surprise its Harrow Council and Newlyn involved. I have a current issue but my point on this reply is that we too had a letter dated 19th Dec but only received through the door 8th Jan by hand not post.

My thread here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...iliff-involved

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X