• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with council tax summons please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with council tax summons please?

Hi, I have received a summons to court for unpaid council tax saying I have lost the right to instalments. I have been told I must pay the full amount(£658( plus £70 costs )for the summons.)
    However I have had an ongoing problem with the council (see thread Council Delaying Tactics (not sure how to link threads!)) whereby they have delayed the assignment of my tenancy to my brother.
    I cancelled my direct debit to the council as I had expected the assignment to take only 4 weeks (from 19th March) when it in fact took them until 4th June to sort out the paperwork (effective date of assignment to be 7th June).
    I would imagine that, due to the fact I have now left the property, I am not liable to a whole years council tax.
    Therefore do I turn up at court to challenge the liability order or do I challenge it prior to the court date of 17th June.
    Also I have been paying council tax in another area as I had to take on the property I wanted to secure before the council had completed the assignment-although I haven't told them this as I didn't want to jeopardise the assignment to my brother. It is their incompetence in delaying matters that has led to the summons in the first place as if they'd sorted it sooner my brother would have been eligible for council tax benefit as I would have been able to officially vacate the council property!

Please advise ASAP!
    Redletter.

I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.......(Darren Hayes/Savage Garden)

"Get up at 6 face another day another red letter in the mail-already taken my TV away-whatever I earn there's always more to pay.....Gotta turn these rags to riches turn the pennies into pounds cos right now all my days are bitches and I'm tired of being down!." Copyright Change! (Redletter 2006).

Re: Help with council tax summons please?

:confused2:
    Redletter.

I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.......(Darren Hayes/Savage Garden)

"Get up at 6 face another day another red letter in the mail-already taken my TV away-whatever I earn there's always more to pay.....Gotta turn these rags to riches turn the pennies into pounds cos right now all my days are bitches and I'm tired of being down!." Copyright Change! (Redletter 2006).

Comment

Re: Help with council tax summons please?

Bump?
      Redletter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X