• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax...

Can anyone help... I split from my partner in 2000. I started to receive allsorts of debts for him and was told because i lived with him i was liable. These included council tax debt, which I paid and the last one was in 2004 when i asked if anymore where outstanding. at the time i did seek legal advice and was told it would cost more to contest the debts than it would to pay the. I have today received a letter from the council saying they are enforcing a liability order granted in 2001 for yet another amount for the property that my x lived in.... what di i di

Re: Council Tax...

Originally posted by ellebabe View Post
    These included council tax debt, which I paid and the last one was in 2004 when i asked if anymore where outstanding. at the time i did seek legal advice and was told it would cost more to contest the debts than it would to pay the.
    Do you mean you paid the outstanding and now you find more is owing and you are liable?

Originally posted by ellebabe View Post
    I have today received a letter from the council saying they are enforcing a liability order granted in 2001 for yet another amount for the property that my x lived in.... what di i di
    Where is your ex? Can he not be contacted for a contribution towards payments?

Comment

I've paid several of his debts including council tax, the last council tax was in 2004 when I asked was anything else outstanding and they said no... Now I've received this letter at a different address than the one I moved to when we split up. I've lived here over 3years and been split from him for 10years.
      I have in the past told them, where he lives and who he works for, but they seem to take me has the easy option.... I thought I'd got through it all and was starting to have a life for myself

Comment

Council tax debts are jointly and severally liable, which means that whoever lives at the property is liable for the debt. However, if you have been separated for 10 years then you are not responsible for his debts since you separated.

If you are still on speaking terms maybe you could ask if he has paid anything towards the debt also.

Comment

No I'm not on speaking terms with him.

Can they now come after me for this money. I've heard nothing from them in 6years, since I paid the last one and was told there was nothing else

Comment

They can only chase you for payment for the time you were together.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X