• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax help please

Hello,
    please could I get advice on council tax?
    if I pay monthly for my yearly council tax bill
    and I miss one month's payment will all my payments then become invalid?
    and I have to pay the amount off in full

this is what my council have told me but I would like to confirm it this is correct
    thank you

Tags: None

Councils can require people to pay the rest of their annual council tax immediately if they do not pay their installments on time. They are legally entitled to do that but they should follow their own policy about missed payments. They should explain on their website when they can require you to pay the rest of the year's tax in full. Have you found their policy on their website?

That doesn't mean the the council tax paid since 1st April this year is invalid. It is only the balance of the unpaid tax that you will be asked to pay.

Which council is it?

How many of your monthly installments have been late or not paid at all since 1st April 2024?

Did your monthly payments include any council tax arrears from previous years?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hi PallasAthena

The account is my daughters

I have not managed to find the policy
      the council is Hull City Council
      the debt is from 2021,2023 and 2024
      but payments for 2021 and 2023 have been paid and she has the receipts and bank statements for these
      she has now received letters from Duke bailiffs stating that she now owes them the debt and they have added more on top
      she has been in touch with the council and was told there is nothing they can do now it's been passed over.
      she had also rang the bailiffs to offer a payment of £90per month
      and they refused saying they would only accept £160per month
      at the least for council tax arrears

Comment

Now that you explain that this is connected to multiple years of arrears this is a different matter. Hopefully some one whom understands the law on arrears of CT will come along and comment.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X