• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Fraud Investigation letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Fraud Investigation letter

Hi

I need advice please

I have just received a letter from Veritau, inviting me to an interview under caution.

In brief, I made a claim for Council Tax Reduction on the grounds of being the sole occupant in my council property, and the letter states that I am to be interviewed about an allegation that another adult has been living at the property who has not been declared.

MY ANONYMISED DETAILS

I am an adult male
    I am congenitally physically disabled, and a lifelong user of wheelchair and/or crutches.
    I have been in receipt of enhanced rate mobility pip and standard rate care pip most of my adult life.
    Until perhaps 2020 my partner (who is my ex wife) resided in the property with me.
    Due to difficult personal circumstances in 2020 my split up, and she moved out.
    We have remained in close contact since...
    There are at least two reasons for this.
    One being that she is my ex wife, and we were married, or otherwise together, for close to 30 years, and have adult children together.
    The other being that she is my paid carer. I pay the care component of my pip to her in return for support with activities of daily living, housework, and similar.
    She has been staying at the property for several nights each week pretty much since we ended our relationship.
    Up until 2020 I was in full time employment
    Following that, I was unable to continue working due to ill-health.
    After a period of being required to attend the job centre, I was signed off as being unfit for work due to ongoing severe depression and deterioration in physical disability.
    Since then I have had hip replacement surgery, and am currently waiting for knee replacement or amputation of one leg.
    I remember making either the council or the benefits agency aware at the time that I had a paid support worker staying overnight several nights each week. (probably both, but I can't remember)
    The reason I gave for this was that it made it easier to deliver early morning and end of day support.
    I did not specify the number of nights each week
    My ex wife has slept in my spare room in her own bed throughout.
    During the past few months, the number of nights has steadily increased
    It has become clear to us that we have been drifting back together, and it was our intention to resume a relationship, and to advise the council and benefits agency of this during the next few weeks.

COMPLICATIONS
    My ex wife has not managed to find any suitable accommodation of her own since moving out in 2020
    She has been sofa surfing the whole time
    She has not informed her bank, employer, gym, or mobile phone supplier that she no longer resides at the property
    She has left her address as being at the property
    The reason for this has been purely because she did not have an alternative address to give.
    My broadband, mobile, and gym are paid by her, and in her name.
    She is a named driver on my motability car, with her address still being my property.

Please help
    Any advice would be very welcome
    I will be contacting a solicitor on Monday 11th March 2024
    But any additional advice would be welcome

QUESTIONS
    Does my narrative hold up?
    I have no reason to lie here, as I want advice.
    Is it too late at this stage to inform the council and benefits agency that my ex wife is moving in as my partner?
    How likely does it sound that I will be prosecuted?
    What are potential, or likely, implications of a prosecution?
    Tags: None

Can you clarify your marital status please.

You say that in 2020 you "split up, and she moved out" and presumably you were married at that time, is that correct?

Did you then get divorced? Or are you still legally married?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
      Can you clarify your marital status please.

You say that in 2020 you "split up, and she moved out" and presumably you were married at that time, is that correct?

Did you then get divorced? Or are you still legally married?
      Many thanks for your reply

Married late 1980s
      Divorced mid 1990s
      Remained in close contact throughout
      Lived together as partners roughly 2014 to 2020

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X