• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax from 13 years ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax from 13 years ago

Ive just received a letter from the council where I lived 13 years ago demanding a full years tax.
    I left the property in 2010 as it was repossessed.
    Ive not heard anything about this before today .
    what are my options as I’ve read that after 7 years this isn’t enforceable.
    plus I had moved out in 2010
    Tags: None

I have only an anecdote to offer:

My stepson had a very similar issue. The council said they would be going for a liability order. The council got the liability order - without providing my stepson notice of the hearing. They had previously been warned NOT to do that. Due to having being told that if they did this they'd be pursued for damages/human rights abuses my stepson insisted on the particular sum mentioned for doing what they did, and told them it would increase if they didn't backtrack or continued on their course of action. After a quick negotiation my son accepted £350.

Funny thing is, he figured out at a later date that he actually did owe the money!

Comment

Originally posted by Custard1966 View Post
      Ive just received a letter from the council where I lived 13 years ago demanding a full years tax.
      I left the property in 2010 as it was repossessed.
      Ive not heard anything about this before today .
      what are my options as I’ve read that after 7 years this isn’t enforceable.
      plus I had moved out in 2010
      Hi

Just to explain. When someone vacates a property, whether because a tenancy ends or due to eviction, the former resident has a duty to notify the council that they have moved and when their last night of occupancy was. This then allows the council to end the bill and issue a new bill to the landlord or whoever the owner is.

All is not lost. You must have a trail going back to 2010. Where did you move to? Were you renting? If so you would have had a rent liability and a council tax liability at that address. It is not possible for you to live in two properties at once so if you can supply evidence of your move on residence that will help. If your property was repossessed (presumably by the bank), it must have been sold on. This would show on Land Registry records. It costs about £5 to obtain a copy of the land registry and if the property has not been sold again, those records will record who purchased the property and when.

Again if your property was repossessed, was there a repossession hearing or any documents that you were issued with. You should be able to obtain these for proof. It may be a bit of work to do this but it is better than being held liable for a bill that you don't owe.

Good luck

Comment

It is likely that the alleged debt is Statute Barred.

You could send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide information. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X