• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax query

Hi All

I own a property and the mortgage is in my name. Mum mum who's in her 60s is moving out of her rented house and coming to live with me for a period, unsure of how long. We live in the Barnsley area South Yorkshire.

Is it just as simple as me adding her to the council tax, which I understand ill loose the single persons discount.

What do I need to provide the council? As she's not coming on the mortgage shes just staying temporary or will they just add her?
    Tags: None

I think that the answer to your question is that you need do nothing in relation to Council Tax, save report that you are no longer a sole occupant.

As sole owner, of course the mortgage is "in your name". You borrowed the money to assist in buying the place. Unless your mother is becoming a co-owner the mortgage should remain unchanged.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      I think that the answer to your question is that you need do nothing in relation to Council Tax, save report that you are no longer a sole occupant.

As sole owner, of course the mortgage is "in your name". You borrowed the money to assist in buying the place. Unless your mother is becoming a co-owner the mortgage should remain unchanged.
      Thankyou for your response, however doesn't she need to provide a forwarding address? which would be mine? as she wont live in her rented property anymore.

Comment

Is your mother permanently terminating the tenancy of her rented house? If so she needs to notify the council in the area where her rented house that she is no longer responsible for the CT there.

She can set up a post redirection service with Royal Mail from her old address to your address. Go to the Royal Mail website and search for mail redirection. Costs about £70 a year.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

If she wants post to reach her, a forwarding address would be sensible. Alternatively she can set up a redirection with Royal Mail.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X