• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suspected Fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspected Fraud

Hi everyone!
    I am new here in the group forum, I need a legal advice and help regarding my case.
    I am living in a temporary council accommodation and receiving housing benefits and council tax reduction/ single person discount and on universal credit. I received a letter from the council that I have a duty to advise the local authority of any changes of circumstances which may affect my discount, a failure to do so may be an offender under the Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2013 Regulations, and/ or the Fraud Act 2006.

They made a credit checks and they have identified my other bank account. For the entitlement to be assessed correctly, I need to send all my bank accounts and capital within 3 months and confirm my employer and annual income.

My problem is, I have a cash on hand job which I deposit the money in my other bank account and savings too which I did not declare. I know this is dishonesty and fraud. Please can anyone with legal expertise and knowledge on how to resolve and handle my case. Kindly please help me with the best thing to do. I am only given a month calendar to submit everything to the council. Thank you very much and I appreciate your help.
    Tags: None

Either you give full and honest disclosure or you do not. The latter course may have unwelcome consequences. Your choice of user name suggests that you know this.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Difficult
      The first decision is not to do anything to make it worse. You have a continuing duty to declare fuilly before claiming any benefit. Should you declare the assets and income now?
      We do not know the amounts and time period involved, and someone will have access to recommended sentences.

Best of luck. You will get through this.

Comment

What you could do is contact CAB, or a solicitor who deals with such matters, as an alternative, the situation needs to be managed. So they are best placed to put any 'mitigation' factors forward, if there are any, but they have experience in this area.

Comment

You have a right to be accompanied by a solicitor at any interview conducted with a view to prosecution. Make sure that that happens. Echat11 has it right, this just needs to be managed. It is a low level fraud - serious enough to warrant legal advice (free) at interview.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X