• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax problem

Hi everyone
    looking for advice . Would appreciate any advice massively as this situation is causing me so much stress.
    i sold a rented property in June 2021
    I changed my occupying addressin December 2020
    The council were aware of this as registered for council tax at new address
    At the weekend I got a call from the guy I sold my rental to to say he had a letter for me from the council tax demanding £650
    The letter was addressed to my old address dated Feb 2022. It had the rental address on it ,so presumed it had been redirected .
    Weirdly the same day I get a text message saying I owe £1400 to a debt collecting agency acting for the council . I didn’t call as I thought it was a scam
    i called the council tax office , they told me to email the recovery dept. Which I have . But they reply with an automated message they are still dealing with email from April.

So should I pay this £1400 as really concerned that I can’t get any response from the council any time soon and the debt or bailiffs will be added
    But don’t know when they’ve had my phone number and latest address I have not been contacted sooner to avoid such a massive escalation . Also I’ve paid £650 to the council now.
    all advise massively appreciated, my also add I’m a pensioner in a state pension , this is a hell of a lot of money for me to
    thankyou
    Kev
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X