• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax liability student with second home.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax liability student with second home.

Hi,

I am a health professional student (keeping some anonymity). I had to move to be near university with my two children. I currently rent, but have a property I own (inherited). I intended to sell this property after I qualify, it's a nest egg for buying my own home when I qualify, But now I am forced to sell it - just putting it on the market after my exams, may have done it earlier but COVID.

The council have been charging me for an empty home (despite it being partially furnished and me sending them photos).- almost £3000 per year, and now have almost £9,000 of debt after 3-years.

I have my student finance, and I work as a healthcare assistant hospital 1-day a week term time, and full-time other times (e.g. Summer). So I am not rolling in money. It's 25% of my income. I am not entitled to universal credit because of this property and savings. I have worked full-time most of my life and always paid my council tax in full, but I was tired of minimum wage and zero-hour contracts, so I am bettering myself with a degree that has a guaranteed job/hours/higher pay.

Anyway - I have an exemption for council tax on my rented house, but not the other home. I have been told by my university that second home should also be exempt, because current home is for study. However, council state this would not be the case as I did not live in that property prior to where I am now. Although I did briefly after the separation of my partner, but have no evidence as it was merely a stop gap until moving into current rented accommodation was available.

Any legal advice on my council tax liability for students would be much appreciated?
    Last edited by Agnodice; 18th April 2022, 10:45:AM.
    Tags: None

An empty home is one that is not lived in by people. Whether you use it to store furniture and belongings is neither here nor there.

Could you not rent out your inherited house? My understanding is that the student discount only applies to the house in which the student(s) live.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X