• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment?

Hi all,

Currently having issues with my Council Tax. My council is Glasgow City Council.

I was previously a student up until a couple of months back, but have since finished my course, so now have to start paying as my exemption has ended. My flat mate however is still studying, so she still receives student exemption.

The problem now is that the council is trying to make me pay full price for the whole flat- £160 a month for a Band A 2 bedroom flat in a high rise.

I’ve tried to contact them to tell them I cannot afford this, as I am on Universal Credit at the moment, but I often get nothing from them as my job often pays me just enough to be slightly over the threshold (sometimes I don’t know what the point of being on it is, but that’s another story).

I was told I was going to be exempt because of UC but now they’re threatening me with bailiffs if I don’t pay. I wouldn’t mind paying, if it wasn’t so much or if I could even just get a single person reduction. But I cannot afford that much every month. It’s expensive enough living in a city as it is.

It’s not the first time the council has given us grief. Last year, when my flat mate was between courses, they tried to pull something similar on her. Eventually, they relented and offered her to pay a reduced amount.

What can I do? I don’t want to be taken to court over this, but I genuinely cannot afford it. This is the first flat I’ve rented by myself, and we’ve been here nearly three years. I can’t ask my flat mate to help me out either, it wouldn’t be fair on her as she has her own exemption- and why should we have to, anyway!

It just seems they have no regard for what people are actually going through. Just confusing and a little bit scary. Can they really force me to do this?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi DNL

Have you tried calculating the Council Tax using a tax calculator? -

https://www.checkmycounciltax.scot/

Comment

Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for advice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...council-tax-s/

Money Talk Team at CAB
      Tel: 0800 085 7145
      Last edited by Helena1; 24th April 2022, 02:00:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X