• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Bill Received now for last 12 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Bill Received now for last 12 years

hello

I have read some posts but cannot find any support for my situation.

I have recently moved houses with my mum so we notified the council of the house move.

Following this, I have now been send a CT bill for £16.5k for the last 12 years.

My mum used to live in the house on her own and she received 100% rebate as she was on DDLA (disability living allowance) and then on Attendance Allowance. I then brought the house and moved in with her as her carer.

I notified the council that i now live there with my mother and they didn't change the council tax bill from her name. And she continued getting 100% rebate even though i declared i was living there. I didnt question any further and nor do I know the CT legislation or debate this.

They now say as i owned the house, i should have been the liable owner and she shouldn't have been the main account holder and it should have been me. Subsequently they have taken her rebate off now for 12 years and transferred liability to me and i now apparently owe £16.5k to be paid in the next 5 months.

1. They have records showing i moved in in 2009 but no records showing I declared ownership. I don't have any evidence of any letters/emails or phone calls of me declaring i am the new owner. I recall filling the forms of my details and salary etc.
    2. Does the 6 years rule apply in my case where they have only sent me a bill recently or does the 6 years start from when the money was due. They have said they have new information now after checking land registry that means i now owe this money.
    3. No Liability order has been given. Just a letter and bill.
    4. Can the bill be in both my mums name and my name as we both lived there? Or is it as they say "the owner" is only liable regardless of who else lives in the property?
    5. Can i now claim as being "disregarded as a carer" and backdate as i know we would get 25%/50% reduction - cant recall if i told them i am her carer at the time?
    6. As i notified them that i have moved in (they have that record) and i am owner (although they do not have a record of this), is it their neglect and admin error, therefore do i have a good challenge here or will they claim its new evidence and can backdate the bill for the last 12 years.

Can anyone walk me through next steps. the first payment of £3.5K is due on the 1st Nov.

CAB have told me to write to them telling them why i disagree with this but i want to get my legal facts right before i write.

Thanks

Feebs
    Tags: None

hi
    im in a similar situation and was wondering if you got any answers to your questions thanx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X