• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charging order - please help I'm feeling suicidal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging order - please help I'm feeling suicidal

Hello.

I came home from work today and my dad showed me a letter. It was a charging order from the council. My parents owe over 9k in council tax. Why they have not been paying I have no idea and it makes me incredibly angry.

The issue is if we do loose the house I can sleep rough but I'm worried about my 2 young sisters and 1 brother who is disabled.

I would pay but I don't earn that much and my parents can't afford to pay either.

I don't want us all to be homeless is there anything we can do or do we have to accept our fate. It's making me feel suicidal. My brother doesn't deserve this.

Tags: None

A charging order is a way of securing the debt against the value of the house. This means that if the house is sold the charging order has to be settled.
    You are not necessarily going to be homeless if the mortgage is up to date you can argue to keep the house.
    What needs to happen now is you and your parents need to pay the current council tax and keep those payments up to date. This is a priority debt like a mortgage or a utility bill.
    Do a full income and expenditure, see what you can cut. Now make an offer to the council to pay off the arrears . It may take several years but as long as you keep the arrangements you wont be homeless.
    Speak to the council and speak to shelter.
    More advice will be along later.

Comment

Were you aware of a court process taking place to get to this point? Have you met with the council to discuss? Any further info on the situation would help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X