• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax issue,historic and present

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • council tax issue,historic and present

    i received a letter at my friends flat where i stay the odd weekend when im working in that area, i use her addressee for mail and bank account as i have no fixed uk addressee as i work all over the uk during the week.
    The letter was from council tax stating i owe them money £5792.00, i email them asking what this debt relates to as i was unaware of any debt.
    Te reply was shocking, no proof of debt i.e bills with addresses and dates only addresses and an increase on the so called debt to £7600.13.
    It appears that as they stated that they did a credit reference check on myself to link addresses, myself and my friend both state i stay the odd weekend but do not live there.
    They have now ended my friends single persons discount and are backdating it over 3 yrs.
    My friends letter states there is a financial connection, we had a mortgage together in 2001-2005 and it shows on a credit search, its my ex partner and when she moved in to a private rent flat all the bills are in her name but she had a bad credit file so i bort a sofa on finance using her addressee and she pays the direct debit from her acount, the council is using this to prove we live together which we do not.
    As i work away i stay in B+Bs and hotels during the week does this mean she losses her single persons discount allowing me to sleep on her sofa the odd weekend?.
    Some of the addresses they refer to i was in prison on remand but without dates i cannot help them, i need to get this sorted out and any advise would be grateful as since our seperation i work away or sofa surf, i do not have a permanent home in the uk.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


No announcement yet.

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm