• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Conveyancing massive error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conveyancing massive error

Hello, I bought a house four years ago with a flying freehold. The deeds and title documents show my boundary. I have finished renovating imy house and have tried to put it on the market - but buyers are pulling out because of the lack of clarity over access and responsibility of the flying freehold over the rear of the property, which has been derelict for over a decade.

I contacted the Land Registry to find out why this is an issue given it wasn't one when I bought the place. I paid for a search on it - and they emailed me to say it has never been registered, they have no information of its existence and a historic search shows no record of any sale or purchase of the land either. So I called the Land Registry and a forty minute call and three people looking couldn't find any record at all, of the property behind me existing, let alone registered. As far as my title documents show, my land finishes where it's back garden (and my next door neighbour's garden) used to be - but that land apparently still belongs to us... !

How did my searches not reveal this, and what recourse do I have?

The Land Registry says I could go for Adverse Possession but that could cause major issues if it turns out someone has a legal claim to it (Al l've been able to ascertain is the previous owner died in a road traffic accident, possibly in the late 2000s. The Council won't get involved not even to do an internal search for any next of kin "because of GDPR", which apparently is nonsense (it's a legitimate request).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    You may want to consider Flying Freehold Indemnity Insurance after you have read the article at:
    http://www.kww.co.uk/2019/03/28/inde...ies-explained/

The insurance can be transferred to the new owner

The insured party is indemnified by the insurer against any specified costs or losses which may occur in the future.

Comment

Have you taken advice of your conveyancing solicitor?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X