• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lease/freehold (Tyneside lease) advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease/freehold (Tyneside lease) advice

Hello, I own a ground floor tyneside flat, I own the leasehold for mine and the freehold for upstairs,( known as a Tyneside lease or criss cross lease, there are only two parties in the lease/freehold agreement and the rent is a peppercorn for 999years)
    I've recently noticed some slipped tiles on the roof and this got me wondering about who is responsible for what. My understanding of my lease was that I (the leaseholder) was responsible for maintaining and repairing anything on the ground floor and the foundations, the upstairs leaseholder is responsible for their flat and the roof. We are jointly responsible for gutters and pipe work. This makes sense to me as how am I to know if there is a leak from the roof?

I would ask upstairs but they are rarely there, I hear them pop in for a minute or two once or twice a month, and I don't have contact info for them.

Does this sound correct?

More info: I have a copy of my lease, it states that the 'demised premises' of my property (leasehold) comprises of 'all below the level of the top of the brickwork supporting the joists on which the first floor flat rests' 'including the foundations'. The 'demised premises' of the 'other flat' comprises of 'all above the brickwork supporting the joist on which the first floor flat rests' 'including the roof and roof void'

It later states in the covenants that the 'leasee' (leasholder) is to keep the 'demised premises in good and tenentable repair' and to 'rebuild any parts that require to be rebuilt' Also to 'pay one half of repairing or renewing any common installations' - the common installations are 'spouts and gutters' and 'gas and water pipes and electrical installations'

Thank you in advance for any help! This is my first property and I love it but I am defo a worrier and got in a bit of a state thinking I was responsible for fixing the roof
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X