• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Conveyancing feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conveyancing feed

Hi,
    I’m looking for advice on an invoice of fees my conveyancing solicitor has just sent me.

The property I am buying is unregistered, so there is a fee for the additional work in respect of this. Fair enough.
    The solicitor is not on my lender’s panel and so, this has been subbed out to another firm.
    My solicitor is charging an additional fee of £250 for dealing with another solicitor acting for my lender, in addition to me having to pay £480 to the other solicitor for their actual service.
    Additionally, although the ‘normal’ fee of £300 is payable for my solicitor’s work in relation to the unregistered property, they’ve doubled this as has they had to report to both us and the lenders solicitors.
    All of the above is also subject to VAT, which comes to £660 additional cost, which we were not expecting.
    Oh, and finally, there is a charge titled ‘self-issue indemnity insurance fee’, which is for the time taken by my solicitor to raise enquiries with the vendor’s solicitor in respect of the lack of building regulation certificates on the property. This is another £250+VAT, giving a total of £960 additional cost to my original estimate of fees.
    TO give context, the vendor is actually my mother and her solicitor actually works for the same firm as mine.

As I have no idea what I should expect, I was hoping someone could please advise.
    I just want to know if these fees a considered usual and fair.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Farouk B
    Tags: None

They look cheap - the 300 anyway. It could easily be two or three times that.

Comment

how does this compare with the quote when you instructed them? Have you looked at the various caveats and provisos?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X