• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finding a Conveyancing Solicitor willing to go through Anti-Money Laundering checks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Conveyancing Solicitor willing to go through Anti-Money Laundering checks

Hi,

This is my first ever post on this forum and I apologise in advance if it's not in the right place/format.

I have a question which is not strictly legal but more legal/practical. My partner and I are looking to buy a house in the UK (we are both UK residents; I have citizenship and she has been living here for a few years on a Visa). Her father told us that he would be willing to contribute a substantial sum of money towards our house purchase as it would be our first home (around 50% of the value of the property).

The problem we're having is that solicitors are refusing to take us on as clients because the money comes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (that's where my partner and her family are from). Apparently this is a high risk jurisdiction for money laundering and they won't let us use the money towards a house purchase.

Any advice on finding help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Matt
    Tags: None

where is the money now? Can your bank help you?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      where is the money now? Can your bank help you?
      Hi,

The bank has no problem clearing the funds - we have received large sums from there (the DRC) before because my partner studies here as an international student (as did one of her siblings) which is not cheap.

As I said the bank receives the money but we would need a solicitor for a property purchase. Every time a solicitor hears from us that the money is from abroad and from the DRC specifically they simply tell us they're not able to take us on as a client.

Comment

When I asked if your bank can help you, I was wondering if it can assist you in explaining the source of funds to lawyers.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          When I asked if your bank can help you, I was wondering if it can assist you in explaining the source of funds to lawyers.
          Thanks for the reply. The solicitors are aware the funds come from within the family, we have told them this. I don't know if banks have different vetting requirements than property solicitors, maybe they (solicitors) need to establish how the family got the money? We have proof that the money comes from legitimate (fully legal) business activity. Like I said the bank has never questioned this.
          It just seems as soon as lawyers realise the money is not from a UK/EU source they don't want to know anything further.

Comment

Money laundering is a real evil. I can see that the solicitors would have to take extra care, and particularly also as the funds are being donated. There should be a way through this but you are asking a firm to go out on a limb for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X