• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Service Charge Retention refund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Charge Retention refund

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with a refund on a service charge retention. I sold my flat 2 years ago and the buyer's solicitor requested that I put down a retention of £500; to be held for 6 months. It has now been 2 years. Over the last year and a half I have periodically sent an email to my solicitor requesting for the return of this money. Initially I was told that the buyer's solicitors were not replying, however, for the last 6 months despite sending more chaser emails and phone calls I have received no reply from my solicitor. It appears that he's ignoring me.

I even found, in a old thread of emails, a phone number for the buyer's solicitors. I called them up to get more information on what was stalling this matter, however, they were unwilling to talk to me about their client's case details.

Not sure how to proceed with this one and what options I have to reclaim my money. Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Hi RAINDAY

Gather all the evidence then lodge a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman Service.

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/in...n-centre/faqs/

You can also consider lodging a complaint with the SRA about the solicitor's conduct.

They have a Code of Conduct:

https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/st...ct-solicitors/

Comment

Hi, in need of some further advice please. I followed the advice above and did get a response from my solicitors. They are adamant that they are getting no response from the buyers' solicitor despite numerous requests and emails sent across. My questions is do I have an recourse to pursue this matter directly with the buyer's solicitor even though I was obviously not a client of theirs. Perhaps I could pursue them in a small claims court, is this even a sensible path. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X